Saturday, June 03, 2006

I'm not a Huffer.

My TV provider has decided to change their strategy. Instead of merely advertising the hell out of programs that are on channels that I haven't got, now they're offering a preview of some of these channels in hopes that I'll fall for the chum. I've got more resolve than that, but one of the preview channels is Showtime.

The last time I had a free movie weekend on Showtime, it was the season premiere of Huff. I must admit, I'd heard a bit of buzz surrounding this show, so I decided to check it out. I found it seriously lacking in the quality department. As far as could tell, the whole point to the show was to see how many times they could drop the F-bomb in a 60 minute period. They were quite good at it. Now I'm no stranger to foul language (my great grandfather was a sailor), truth be told, I might have actually dropped the bomb myself a time or two, but I aspire to greater things, and it's a habit I'm not proud of. All that said, I don't see it as particularly fascinating when it's gratuitously inserted in a TV show every third word. Personally, I prefer a plot and character development.

Usually, they bring out the best for the season premiere, especially when it's a free weekend, and I was sorely disappointed in their offering. But last night, on my new preview channel, there it was... another episode of Huff. I decided to give it another try to see if it was a better ep. I was just as disappointed this time around. It lacked everything that I like in a show, and the things that it did have, I can't say were impressive. It seems my initial analysis of the show was spot on. The entire point is to see how many times the f-bomb can be gratuitously dropped in a given length of time and how many people they can sucker into watching the whole thing.

It only took me these two eps to come to the inescapable conclusion: I'm not a Huffer.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I attempted to watch it myself and it did nothing for me either. BAH....

6/04/2006 1:46 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/04/2006 6:43 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I've never even heard of "Huff" as I don't really like much TV. I'm not a prude, but really am sick of the gratuitous sex, violence, cursing, and all the rest of it. Strangely enough, I used to enjoy Nip/Tuck ... one of the dirtiest shows around. Now I watch nothing ... just white noise. OK, kidding, but I'm not lovin' anything. I'm afraid to watch "Rescue Me" for fear I'd be hooked.

I definitely enjoyed Yukon Cornelius and Schprock so made my way over to your blog.

6/04/2006 6:44 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Welcome to the End of the World Beth. It isn't much, but it's all mine.

I'm not lovin' much either, except 24, or Prison Break, or Lost, or... :P

Seems now I'm hooked on a few blogs instead!

6/04/2006 7:49 AM  
Blogger fakies said...

I won't say how many shows I'm hooked on, but Huff is not one of them. I usually like Hank Azaria, but not in this one. I have no use for cussing for no good reason. It's like being back in high school.

6/05/2006 9:26 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Erm... did you just agree with me again? I tell ya there's something bad on the horizon...

6/05/2006 4:17 PM  
Blogger fakies said...

Well, today is 06-06-06. I think it's a sign of impending evil.

6/06/2006 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home