Sunday, July 30, 2006

Sleepin' In.

As I mentioned last time, the Saturday following the local rodeo is the only day in theory that I can sleep in.

A few years back, that was the day that my mom decided to call at 6:30 (in the A.M.) to see what my plans for the day were. Not because there was any reason for her to know, just because...

The next year, she called at 7:00 because someone called and asked if I would be able to go down to the rodeo grounds and help out with slack, and I was roused from my slumber/hangover to go man a gate and pull ropes off of the calves/steers.

The next year, I got smarter. Even in my stupor, I took the phone off of the hook. It was pure bliss. I actually got to execute a full blown sleep in. Later that day, I ran into my mom and she lamented to me, "I tried to call you all morning, but your line was busy." "Gee, I wonder if that meant I didn't want any phone calls waking me up on the only day of the year I get to sleep in."

Since that time, I've never failed to take the phone off the hook. But alas, where there's a will, there's a way.

This year, I'm getting in some quality zzz's and there's a knock on my bedroom door. Some cousins of mine were looking for someone to haul some hay for them, and couldn't get ahold of me, so my mom gladly drives down here to wake me up and ask me for them...

I tell ya, I'm gonna have to start bolting the doors and windows next. I can hardly wait to see what happens next year.

12 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

Have you thought of pitching a tent in the barn? Not only is there no phone, but maybe your mom wouldn't think to look for you in there. Just a thought...

7/30/2006 6:57 PM  
Blogger LL said...

I'm afraid I'd miss my air conditioner too much. :P

7/30/2006 7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You hooked up with that cool stove for heat. Im sure you can rig something up for keeping cool.

7/30/2006 9:05 PM  
Blogger fakies said...

My mother does that to me all the time. If I don't answer the phone, she comes over. If I don't answer the door, she bangs on the windows. Eventually, you give up just to get some peace.

7/31/2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

JUST SO NO! It works wonders. And then actually follow through with your "no". I'm not as nice as the rest of you. I'm a meanie. ;)

7/31/2006 12:41 PM  
Blogger LL said...

BC, it is a thought, but then I'd have to move my bed out there too...

I'm glad I'm not the only one in a sleep deprived hell, KTM. What is it with mothers and their indomitable will not to let you sleep?

"JUST SO NO!"

erm... I'll try to do that next time JG. Exactly what is it? :P

7/31/2006 3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know after you move your bed to the shop comes the coffe pot too. And then the TV and then the computer and then the toilet. Oh wait, that should come right after the coffee pot. You would have yourself a nice little set up there. :P

7/31/2006 4:46 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

I love your mom. ;)

7/31/2006 10:20 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh my gosh, you can't win for trying, me lord. Hugs to you either way!

8/01/2006 12:06 PM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

Rent a room at the local motel. Or paint "Quarantined: Smallpox!" on your door.

8/01/2006 2:54 PM  
Blogger LL said...

" I love your mom. ;)"

I do too, but that's no excuse for bad behavior...

Beth, now you can see why I go by Lord Loser.

Mr. S I'd go to the local motel, but I'm afraid the 30 mile drive would be a bummer. However, that small pox idea... hmmmm...

8/01/2006 6:38 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Oh no, she didn't! I get highly annoyed when people wake me up on my day to sleep in!

8/15/2006 6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home