Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Well... It's Official

Yes... I know there were those of you out there that were wondering. Speculating, in fact. If not conversing amongst yourselves about this subject.

Well... good thing I'm around, because it's now official. It's hot.

How do I know this? Was it the triple digits registering on the mercury? Nope. Was it the Discovery Channel special on global warming? Nah... that was a bunch o' crap. Was it the fire near Hicksville? 'Fraid not.

It was the fact that I put my window unit in yesterday because the night before all I could do was lie awake in a puddle of sweat. That makes it official in my book. When it doesn't cool off enough at night to allow for a good nights rest, then it's hot.

Now because we now know it's hot, here's something else that most folks I know don't realize. Temperature is measured in the shade, so when you hear it's 99 outside, that's 99 in the shade. If temperature were measured in the sun, there would be no consistency in the measurement. Clouds and such would effect it's accurate measurement. Therefore, it has to be measured in the shade. Of course this also means that when it's 100 in the shade, it's probably 120+ in the direct sunlight.

Make sure you drink plenty of liquids...

12 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

Beer counts as a liquid, right?

7/18/2006 10:05 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Of course... but only as a half liquid. That means you have to drink twice as much to get the benefits... :ewink:

7/19/2006 8:04 AM  
Blogger fakies said...

Good. Then I'm plenty hydrated.

I've been drinking so much liquid lately you'd think I'd need catheterized. And yet, that isn't the case. It's like magic or something...

7/19/2006 8:09 AM  
Blogger LL said...

BTW... your pm box is full...

7/19/2006 8:10 AM  
Blogger fakies said...

Once again, you're wrong.

7/19/2006 2:26 PM  
Blogger LL said...

:g2f:

7/19/2006 7:52 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Wow, I had no idea it was measured in the shade. How depressing. This must be why I'm always saying, "It feels more like 100 than 90." Haha. I don't think there's anything worse than lack of sleep due to being hot. Well, there's almost freezing to death ... yeah, that could be worse. Still, oh, nevermind. =/

7/20/2006 6:51 AM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

I never knew the rules of measuring temperature. You're a wealth of information, my lord.

BTW, I know it's hot when I hug my air conditioner and call it "my precious."

7/20/2006 6:52 AM  
Blogger LL said...

You can dress against the cold Beth, but the heat... you can only take so much off.

Yes Mr. S, I'm a wealth of useless knowledge. But hey, knowledge is never wasted, right? At least that's what I keep telling myself...

7/20/2006 7:54 AM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

Nah... that was a bunch o' crap. Why must you poke the bees nest? Why!?

You know what's worse then waking up in a puddle of sweat? Waking up in a puddle of sweat with two cats trying to get your attention by rubbing themselves against you.

7/21/2006 10:38 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yeah, you can dress against the cold, but there's times when you're in a tent and it's snowing out and no matter what, you just can't get warm. The heat sucks though.

Once again, Mr. Schprock makes me chuckle.

7/22/2006 9:24 AM  
Blogger LL said...

What bees nest? :innocent:

Beth, I try to avoid tents in that type of weather.

And Mr. S. makes us all chuckle...

7/22/2006 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home