Sunday, August 06, 2006

And Speaking of Sleep...

This past week has been somewhat typical around here.

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were all spent moving cattle to the high country, as probably will tomorrow and Tuesday. It's a yearly occurrance so it's not something new, but here's the problem. When it's kinda warm like it is, you get up early to beat the heat. 4:30 a.m. early to be exact.

Now for the unSchprockly amongst you, that's early. Personally, I can only think of one thing that I'd rather be doing at 4:30 in the morning, and that's a rather short word that begins with "s". But alas...

For the last few moves, I've been relegated to the short seat. That means, I haven't been on a horse, but rather a 4-wheeler. Even though that doesn't sound bad, let me assure you, it's less than ideal.

When I used to be ahorseback all the time, I kinda thought that the guys on the scooters had all the luck. All they had to do was run around on them and enjoy life while the rest of us did the work. Those thoughts only lasted until they stuck me on my first scooter for the day. Believe it or not, it's just as hard as being on the ol' pony.

As much as you'd doubt it, I can assure you by firsthand knowledge. The main difference is that the muscles in your legs don't get sore, but your arms and shoulders take a beating. Well... that and you put on lots of miles so that the horseman don't have to. This past week wasn't too bad. I probably only averaged 40 miles a day. Before that, I was approaching 60, but the terrain last week was a bit steeper and deeper so there were a lot of places I had to defer to the hosses on.

To make a short story long, we moved for as long as we could until the heat overpowered the cattle, then we'd quit. But the job's not done so were heading back out this week to finish up. If I didn't think that I'd bust my camera, I'd have taken some pics for you. But until then, you'll just have to settle for this one...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

12 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

Awwww. That is the cutest little reptile ever! Nice photography.

There are only two reasons that I am ever up at 4:30am. Hangovers and air travel.

8/06/2006 4:35 PM  
Blogger LL said...

That, my dear, is a picture of the world famous Horny Toad. Although it's just a babe...

8/06/2006 5:01 PM  
Blogger fakies said...

We used to have horny toads around here, but I haven't seen one in years. They are cute, as long as they aren't peeing on my hand. Then they're learning to fly.

I'm still amazed that there is one of those 4:30s in the morning too. If it's before 8:00, it doesn't need done in my world.

I'd rather be on a horse than a 4-wheeler any day. A horse might lead to broken bones, but a 4-wheeler can lead to facial reconstruction and skin grafts.

8/07/2006 9:46 AM  
Blogger LL said...

You're just not riding them right. :P

8/07/2006 2:12 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

I've been up at 4:30 plenty of times... just not waking up then. ;)

8/07/2006 10:42 PM  
Blogger LL said...

It's a sad time of day. That I can assure you.

See? It's 4:40 and I'm really sad...

8/08/2006 4:47 AM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

How many time zones away are you? 2 or 3? Even if it's 3, at 4:30 your time it would be 7:30 my time and I would still not be up.

8/08/2006 8:27 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Slacker...

btw, I would be 2 time zones behind you.

8/09/2006 4:48 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Horny toad. LMAO! Go figure! I get to sleep at about 3am so a 4:30 alarm would not be welcome. Nope!

8/09/2006 8:02 AM  
Blogger LL said...

You've never heard of a horny toad? Beth... how can you have led such a sheltered life. :P

8/09/2006 4:09 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

Slacker...

Can I help it if the only thing I have to herd are salesmen?

8/11/2006 2:56 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Cool picture!!!

4:30 is normally when my alarm goes off, so I guess I'm "schprockly."

8/15/2006 6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home