Saturday, June 30, 2012

Hair We Go Again...

An interesting thing happened on the way to the...  erm...  ok...  maybe not exactly interesting or on the way to anywhere, but it was interesting to me never the less.

Last year in May I had something that I had to go to in Boise on the 5th so...  I got my hair cut the day before so I'd look somewhat presentable to the masses and here's where our tale begins.

Out in these parts it was a cold, and rainy spring last year.  I knew what was going to happen, but was powerless to prevent it and that was that it was going to turn from cold to hot overnight and all of my hay was going to grow like wildfire and then...  all be ready to harvest at the same time making me run around like a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Guess what...  it happened just like that.  Now why is that anything to do with this post?  Because.  That's why...

My usual schedule is to get a haircut right before the local rodeo at the end of July, but last year...  I was so busy I didn't get it done.  Then...  I got busy moving cattle around and haying some more and before you know it...  it was the middle of October and the weather was cooling off again.

I decided it didn't do me much good to lop it off right before it got cold, so I just let it go, and let it grow.

Now you already know that I can only do a couple things well, and one of them is grow hair.  So...  one thing led to another and this winter was cold, but not snowy, and before I knew it...  it was already April and I hadn't seen the barber yet.

Truth be told...  I've never gone a year without getting a hair cut before, and decided...  what the hell.  I could last for another month, easy.

A few problems started to crop up with my locks though...  I was going through conditioner like water, I couldn't keep a hat on because there was nothing to grip ahold of, and it was hotter than the hubs of hell so I sweat just brushing my teeth in the morning.

It got to be fairly long, and incredibly heavy.  The interesting thing was that it took about 8 months for the length and weight to finally start to pull the curls out, which to me was a good thing.

It also led to some very interesting encounters.

I went into a chiropractor's office and the receptionist sat me down on the table and then looked at me and said...  "I've never done something like this before in my life, but...  I've just got to."  Then she came over and ran her fingers through my hair.  I just laughed, I'm good that way.

Most women couldn't stop gawking at it.  I'd get a lot of strange compliments from strangers, and a few strange requests from not-such-strangers.

But alas...  I made my goal, and then some.  I finally got to town at the beginning of this month so it went for a grand total of 13 months.  The chiropractor's receptionist told me I should go for two years since I was this far...  but I sense she had ulterior motives in the request.  :P

All told it was time for it to get cut.  I was starting to cut some hay and it was starting to become a physical hazard and I didn't want to get sucked into a sprocket or chain when I was working on equipment...  having one's head get thrown into the working parts of large machinery never leads to good things for the head.

And with that...  the locks wound up on the tile floor of the barber and I was back to being the loveable curmudgeon that you all know and love.

Oh...  you want to see a picture?  Meh...  I don't know why, but...  ok.  Here ya go...

Was it all you hoped it would be?  ;P

***************************
Today's mystery lyric: (Remember the rules folks, no online searching of the lyrics, if you don't know it, you don't have the answer!)

See the fighter enter the ring,
his mindset only knows how to win.
This Danish fighter will break you in two,
You will feel all his power...

Answer to last lyric: Live to Rise by Soundgarden. Again with the non guesses? You people sicken me...

12 Comments:

Blogger The Constant Complainer said...

Just stopping by. This may be my first visit...not sure. I saw a comment you made on Dani's blog and decided to click-through.

I can remember one time when I was in high school where the barber basically completely ignored my instructions and basically made me a cue ball with my hair cut. Yikes!

7/04/2012 10:47 AM  
Blogger BC said...

Ive always liked the waves in your hair. Some women would kill for that. :o)

7/04/2012 11:47 AM  
Blogger LL said...

CC - Yup... you've been here before, but... welcome back.

If you don't have a bad haircut story, then you haven't had a haircut.

BC - So I've been told... so I've been told.

7/04/2012 7:34 PM  
Blogger tiff said...

Nicely grown! :)

7/05/2012 11:05 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Tiffy... see now why I was interested in your little conditioner tidbit?

7/05/2012 1:46 PM  
Blogger Charmaine said...

Your hair looks like mine if I don't straighten it. Perhaps we are siblings?

Now, on to more important matters.

You never said you were a cowboy. Did I marry too soon?

Charmaine

PS. You could have worn a pony tail to keep your locks out of the hay shredder...(um, I'm a city girl.)

7/07/2012 6:44 PM  
Blogger LL said...

*sigh* Yes Charm... I've mentioned my occupation a time or two to you and you went ahead and got hitched anyway. See how you are?

But on the bright side... if'n we were related, that might have saved us from a really awkward wedding night.

Oh... and my locks come from a wee bit o' the Scottish blood, not Irish me darlin'.

And pony tails are for ponies, not men. ;)

7/08/2012 11:06 AM  
Blogger Knight said...

Oh Sweet Jesus it's GLORIOUS!
Why oh why did you remove it? Getting your head sucked into large machinery can't be that bad.

Yo Charm, back off.. he's mine!

7/18/2012 12:01 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Hush you... that's just your addiction showing through and clouding your judgment...

But you and Charm can go ahead and fight it out if you like. *grabs popcorn*

7/18/2012 8:40 PM  
Blogger MacRankin said...

...And there I was thinking to meself that he was the only one glad to see the back of you. LOL

8/10/2012 2:17 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Madre! So good to see you ol' chap... I was beginning to think you'd retired to the South Pacific...

8/13/2012 7:35 PM  
Blogger MacRankin said...

Hi there LL :)

I've been around... the same old places, though never staying at the same watering hole long enough to make a difference -- as you do ;)

8/16/2012 4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home