Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Uhhh... Tiffy?

So it seems that even Tiffy has left...

But if she was here...  I'm sure she'd ask about something which I wouldn't have written about anyway...  so I won't.  :P

Around these parts, it's a great compliment to be known as a sourdough man.  With that said, I don't know of any left.  I lost the last of 'em that I knew several years back, so I decided about June of last year to pick it up.

First off...  the old sourdough man that I was around always told me that it wasn't that tough, but when I asked him how to do it...  he just told me...  I'd have to watch and learn.  So I did...  but I couldn't learn much.  It was all feel for him and I didn't even know enough to know what I didn't know...

There was a disconnect there...  and then he passed away.  So I did what anyone in my position would do...  I looked it up in the interwebz!

I found a lady who'd spelled it all out in great detail so I printed it all out, and now I'd love to give her props, but I can't find her website anymore...  so props anyway.

I floundered around a bit, creating my own starter, but at that time, I really didn't know an active starter from a dead one.  So I learned it all the hard way, and after a few weeks of honing my skillz...  I finally knew enough to know what I didn't know...  so I started from there.

My first batch of biscuits were a little solid...  but tasty.  And so it goes...  on and on, more knowledge from failure...  and then...  perfection.

I made a pan of the most wonderful biscuits.  They were light...  fluffy...  sharp and flavorful, and literally melted in your mouth.  I knew what that meant.  It was the original high...  the one that I'd be chasing for the rest of my life.

It's been over a year now, and I've made a lot of batches of sourdough...  I've never come close to that one batch since.

But since I'm the only sourdough man around this part of the world anymore...  folks don't seem to mind all that much.

I gave quite a few batches to a local fellow just a bit older than my dad, who was suffering from leukemia and didn't have an appetite for anything.  I figured he'd be able to get them down...  and he did.  So I kept at it until he died here a couple weeks back.  He buy me beer in thanks down at the local...  I considered it a fair trade and so did he.

So all in all, it's been an interesting year, and let me tell ya what...  I know now why sourdough men don't mind giving it away to anyone they can.  It get's to be a lot of bread for one man to eat...  But damn...  there's really nothing better than a pan of fresh sourdough biscuits...

Who knows... maybe one day, you'll get to taste 'em yourself.


***************************
Today's mystery lyric: (Remember the rules folks, no online searching of the lyrics, if you don't know it, you don't have the answer!)

I hold on so nervously
To me and my drink,
I wish it was coolin' me...

Answer to last lyric: Disposable Heroes by Metallica...    

10 Comments:

Blogger The W.O.W. factor! said...

I'M BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAck! and you thought you were rid of me! :-)

8/09/2013 9:14 PM  
Blogger LL said...

I only hoped... ;P

8/10/2013 7:20 PM  
Blogger The W.O.W. factor! said...

Actually did stop there...for lunch! Pouring down rain!!! Went to a different cafe...tried to locate you! See...you are just elusive....

8/11/2013 10:55 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Or busy... ;)

8/11/2013 5:57 PM  
Blogger BC said...

Sourdough is great for grilled cheese :-)

Finger Eleven Paralyzer

8/20/2013 3:36 PM  
Blogger tiff said...

Finger 11, Paralyzer.

Does starter ship well? Because, man, now I want some dang biscuits!

9/04/2013 6:08 AM  
Blogger tiff said...

Just so you know, I did NOT see BC's comment before posting mine.

9/04/2013 6:08 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Pfft... like I believe THAT...

9/05/2013 8:53 PM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

Do you use a cast-iron skillet?

9/26/2013 11:46 AM  
Blogger LL said...

I do... just not for the sourdough...

9/26/2013 6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home