Thursday, May 03, 2007

So You Want To Think...

If you don't want to think, sorry. Blame Beth. (See? I told you I'd get even for that crazy uncle comment... :P )

As I told you in my last post, I've met some wide and varied people in my young life. (What? Oh, shut up...) You all know I rarely drop names or titles here, occasionally I have, but only for what I consider good reasons. I wouldn't be telling you about this guy either, but he told me I could. Fact is, that's the only way people learn about him is through word of mouth.

You see... he's a private businessman. He doesn't advertise, nor does he actively recruit strangers. No, he relies on people contacting him. So...

Meet George Gordon.

George is a most interesting fellow. He was born and raised in California, but spent a lot of time in Boise. That's where he started to think for himself. One thing led to another, which led to another, and another, and...

He knows a lot of stuff. That's how he makes his living now. He teaches people like me what he knows. For a fee of course, but hey, he's entitled to it. Just looking at him, you can see that something's not average. Browse his website and you'll find that he's a peculiar fellow. He prices his classes in gold coin. How many folks do you know like that? He's the first I've ever met. As a sidenote, he showed me my first gold coin. Let me tell you what... they sure are pretty, and there's an intrinsic attraction that you can't describe, but I digress...

Anyway, George is not politically correct. And if he hasn't offended you yet, just wait. He's still getting around to it. But you know what? He doesn't care. He just reports what he's learned, and if that offends you, well... you don't have to listen.

He's said a lot of things to me over the years that have gone against my upbringing, but he always told me that if I can prove him wrong, he'll change, but if I can't, perhaps I should. It's a fair deal, and dangit... the scales are still tipped in his favor.

George is the guy that taught me how to be a pro se litigant. How that's gonna work out, I can't tell you. But we'll all learn together I suppose.

Go ahead and go to the link above, then you too can learn if you're a practicing communist (it's in the essays section). I'll bet you are. I was. I didn't think so and didn't want to be, but I was. I'm working on changing that.

Now George also has a radio program that he hosts. Most of his programs are archived on his website and I've become a regular listener. I've actually started getting up earlier than I ever used to and listen to one of his programs every morning. That's probably the best way to get acquainted. They're full of information, but of course he tells you some things to entice you into taking his classes. A fair exchange. If I had to pay for everything I've learned from him, it'd be far more.

I've listened to a lot of them. It's put a serious crimp in my TV viewing time. Of all the nerve...

But if you're interested, and have a few hours to spare, I suggest you start with this one. It's a series entitled Freedom.

Here's the rest of the series: two,three,four,five,six,seven.

I'll quit there. You can go to his archives and listen to more if you want to. But I will say this, if that doesn't explain how I've become the crazy uncle, well... you'll never understand. ;)

7 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Blame Beth! Bahahaha! I laugh when I get smacked down. (makes my opponent not see the kick to the chest they're about to receive) =)

Sounds like an interesting fellow. When I get my actual down time, I'll give him a listen!

5/04/2007 10:55 AM  
Blogger fermicat said...

I think that pro se is the way to go, if you can learn enough to do it right. No paid lawyer is ever gonna care more about your case than you do.

That picture on the website looks like the very definition of "crazy uncle". It's neat when people can make a living off the stuff they know, and fill a need at the same time.

5/04/2007 1:08 PM  
Blogger LL said...

I didn't smack you down... I merely identified the root cause of everyone being forced to think. ;)

I also suspect that once you get started listening to George, you'll stop reading quite as much during your nighttime insomnia and listening to him more.

fermi, you would be correct for the most part. You have to be sharp enough to know whether your legal position is correct or not before it'll help you. If you're wrong, there's no amount of training that will make you succeed, but all that said, if you are correct, then you are definitely your best advocate for the reason you stated.

George's picture is a bit deceiving though. He's not portly like it makes you believe, shoot, he's actually about 6'1" and fairly trim for his age.

I hesitated for a long time about telling all of you about George. I didn't want to curse you with what I've been cursed with. Knowledge. Remember folks, ignorance is bliss, but when you start down this path, you can never again return to where you are now. You'll be making a conscious and informed choice.

5/05/2007 7:57 AM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

I am intrigued. I'll really try to make time for listen to old George. And if I'm not a practicing Communist, I guess I better if I ever want to get good at it.

5/09/2007 8:05 AM  
Blogger LL said...

I've intrigued Mr. S? Wow... I can now die a happy fellow.

As for your leftist leaning, I'm gonna wager that you've practiced so long that you're almost ready to turn pro. YOU LIVE IN BASTAN MASS!

5/09/2007 5:53 PM  
Blogger fermicat said...

After reading the Communist essay and thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that his arguments would be much stronger if he picked things that were characteristic ONLY of communist governments, and not characteristics of governments in general. The tenor of the essay sounded very libertarian, which sounds nice until you start thinking about how it could practically work in the real world.

5/09/2007 8:22 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Perhaps. But the ten planks weren't created by him, he's just laying them out there for you. And if every government is doing those things, does that make them right, or does that just mean that every government you know of is communist?

I don't get the same tenor from the treatise that you do either fermi. It's not what I'd call libertarian, but then again, I don't see things like other folks.

I'm not here to defend him or his treatise. It stands or falls on its own merit. You'll have to make up your own mind about all of that, I know I have. I guess that's why I'm a crazy uncle. ;)

5/09/2007 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home