Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Death of the Blog

I kinda hate to admit this... but I've been thinking about this for quite a while. No, that's not the part I hate to admit to, it's that fermi's latest post spurned me somewhat into action.

A while back... I was going to make a post entitled, "Pimpin' out the Ladies" where I was going to say something nice about all the usual blogs I frequent that are written by those of the female sex and encourage those of you to go a'viztin and check them all out. But alas... as I started going through my sidebar... it became a who's who of dead or comatose blogs.

If we look to the ol' sidebar we find that our dear Mr. Schprock has stepped back from the keyboard. Not completely walked away, as he still posts occasionally, but not nearly as frequently as when he first began. We all miss his wit and charm.

Next on the list is the infamous KTM. Used to be that she was one of the daily posters that was a frequent stop of many, nay tens of many, peeples. But then she started stepping back, and as of a couple weeks ago, removed her blog entirely! Damn shame that... it was a good thing to have a blog like hers around. It made us all feel a little bit better about ourselves when compared to the locals of Hicksville.

Now we come to the infamous Winkin' Kitty, NYPinTA. Like KTM, she was a regular poster whose style and range of topics were most interesting if not peculiar. Perhaps her greatest mistake was in cajoling me into starting a blog. I think if one looks hard enough, her initial giddiness over The End of the World's founding has changed into the very definition of the cautionary tale, be careful what you wish for. Then along came the twitterverse, and the abandonment of wit toward a more cause specific posting and fewer and fewer posts. Damn shame that too... now I have to go out of my way to give her a hard time instead of just in the comment section.

And so on, and so forth.

JG hasn't posted in years, g_s like Mr. S. has sidelined himself, Beth is down to few and far between, fermi's still one of the most regular of posters, but she's gotten into a cat-rut as of late so who knows where that damn thing is headed :ewink:, Kath is way down since the passing of her grandmother, Sunny hasn't posted in a long time and I suspect the blog is all but dead (I miss her bubbliness, she was the cat's ass), Twichie's way too busy in real life with paying projects to blog anymore (you'd be amazed at the number of irons she has in the fire), and then there's Tiff.

Well... what can we say about Tiff. She posts nearly everyday, keeps me in stitches with her intentional mizzpellings and such, and makes everyone else in the blogging world feel inferior because she's just that damn good. Come to think of it... that may be the reason all my blogroll is going under dammit. You know... I'll have to think more about this.

Next we have Tink. I miss Tink and her cuteness. We can all use a little more cuteness in our lives, and she was fun, but alas, the blog isn't dead, but I don't expect her to post anymore. She might, as she left the door open for it, but we all doubt it.

MW's gone but not forgotten, Wa11z closed up shop after 10,000 hits, JennyLu updates irregularly because of real life happenings, WOWie is one of those too busy with real life to worry about blogging, which is a shame. She liked me (hush P... I don't know why either). Then there's TDub, another happily married chicky that made me smile, but she hasn't updated in a coon's age either even though she had a following that most bloggers would have killed for. Danigirl works her eema off (5 kids and a full time night shift nursing job), but still posts occasionally.

Now Deb... well... she's got nothing better to do than blog so she keeps things running. :P

And finally... the girls Lauren and Holly. If you want to read some really funny stuff, you should've headed over there when they were posting regularly. You'd learn all about the dollar store and the icky quickie favor. But they haven't posted for quite a while and that's that. They'll post again, of that I'm almost certain, but...

And now we come to me. I lay no blame on anyone else because real life's been kicking me in the ass something fierce for the last few years and I just haven't felt like posting. I did notice something that wasn't intentional, but it was kind of interesting to me. I've never missed posting something at least one time each month since I first started. I've decided I'll try to at least keep that up.

As for the cause of all this? I don't know. A blog is an interesting thing, but it removes interaction with people. Originally the bulletin boards that I frequented and got to know a great many of you from were very interactive. Almost like conversations. You got to interact with people nearly real time on a variety of subjects and could give them a raft of shi... erm... I mean, hard time and it was extremely fun. But blog type things and stories didn't fit in that medium very well, so a lot of blogs started up. But blogs are dry. I tell you what I want, then you comment. If you only come back and comment once, that's the end of the conversation. It's a very cold medium, or well... keeps people at a distance. So when twitter comes along and the real time atmosphere makes it seem like a conversation, albeit somewhat removed, but the interaction is what makes online communities run. Hence the popularity of facebook. I think that's why blogs have lost popularity. The medium doesn't lend itself well to what people are looking for, and it's time is nearing an end.

But the more I think about it... forget everything I just said. Let's just blame Tiff.

****************************
Today's mystery lyric: (Remember the rules folks, no online searching of the lyrics, if you don't know it, you don't have the answer!)

Lay where you're laying
Don't make a sound
I know they're watching
They're watching

All the commotion
The kiddie like play
Has people talking
Talking

Answer to last lyric: Coming Home by The Scorpions

8 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

Oh come on. It isn't all cats. I post about college football, too.

But sad that I am the first to comment when this post has been up all day. I saw it when I was working, but needed to wait until I was home for the evening to respond. Went out for dinner to a place with live music and the Thursday night game on the big screen.

The blogging community ain't what it used to be. And I really miss those old message boards. Where is everybody hanging out? *sigh*

9/23/2010 8:52 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Sad? Not around these parts. But if I was worried about that, I'd post more often and become an internet social butterfly.

Besides... I've got you babe. :P

As for where everyone is hanging out... there's still a few of us over at the Bib, and I check in at Terra Firma (formerly Kansas) to see a few of the old crew from the FMD days. It's not very friendly over there though. Rather cliquish.

What's really sad is FMD. There's dust on half of the forums, and I thought I saw a tumbleweed there last time I logged in. It's their own damn fault though. You can't run everybody off and expect to have a thriving board. I think we all discovered that at SSD.

9/23/2010 9:38 PM  
Blogger SSP said...

then Charmaine posts, and I am reminded of your blog, and I come see and you are folding up? shoot.....please don't. Let's just blame charmaine for not stirring us all up to write more often!

9/26/2010 4:11 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Never fear my dear. You can't get rid of me that easily. I just probably won't be really regular anytime soon...

*insert prune juice comments here*

9/26/2010 7:36 PM  
Blogger tiff said...

'bout half my blogroll are inactive, removed, or on hiatus.

Death of the blog, indeed. Sad days indeed.

9/27/2010 11:53 AM  
Blogger Leigha said...

Hey, this is Leigha from The Crazy Single Life. I am in the process of exporting my blog to another web address. I'll be taking The Crazy Single Life offline soon. If you would like to continue following me pop by my new blog http://othersideofbeautiful.blogspot.com

9/28/2010 6:43 PM  
Blogger LL said...

You know it Tiffy...

Leigha - What? A block comment? I give you the best comments of my life and all I get is a block comment? *sigh* Is this because of that whole lost panty incident? :P

10/01/2010 8:47 PM  
Blogger Train Wreck said...

AW you missed me! I do miss blogging. Truly. I often think of all my friends I have met and how they are doing. I am Hoping this new year will bring a bit of extra time. I have missed you too my friend.

12/25/2010 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home