Saturday, August 22, 2009

District 9

After a rather long and arduous week, Thursday night found me with little to do and in town to boot. I decided to go hit the show, and given the local choices and my penchant for science fiction, it was either Star Trek, or District 9. I chose District 9 because I hadn't seen much hype about it, but I had seen some reviews giving it a good recommendation.

Unfortunately... those reviews also ended up spoiling me to a great deal of what was going to happen throughout the film. I think it would have been far better to go into the film without any idea of what was going to happen. Of course... if you've ever seen any type of sci-fi in the past, you have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen anyway, but I digress...

Overall... District 9 was the best example of classic science fiction that I've seen in a long time. Anyone who's read or watched classic science fiction and enjoyed it will immediately pick up on what I'm talking about here if they watch it. Now I, unlike the reviewers, am not going to spoil anything for you... at least in this post.

A couple words of caution though... it takes place in South Africa and the accents are fairly foreign to the accents that I'm used to listening to. Takes some time to understand and also I missed quite a bit of dialogue getting up to speed. Fortunately, they subtitle a lot of the dialogue in a way that's very well done cinematically within the framework they've created.

Secondly, it's fairly gory at times, and that causes the third plane to be broken even when the film maker probably shouldn't have or didn't intend. It's a bit off and broke the continuity a little bit for me.

Lastly... as with most offerings of this kind... there's a lot of holes I can pick in the thing. I'll save those for next time, after everyone who wants to see it has had a chance.

Because of all the little things, it's not a grand slam like the Dark Knight was, but it's definitely a high 7 out of 10. I liked it, even though it's not a feel good movie. Actually... that's probably why I liked it.

****************************

Today's mystery lyric: (Remember the rules folks, no online searching of the lyrics, if you don't know it, you don't have the answer!)

Those who came before me
Lived through their vocations
From the past until completion
Theyll turn away no more
And I still find it so hard
To say what I need to say
But Im quite sure that youll tell me
Just how I should feel today

Answer to last lyric: Metal Health by Quiet Riot. Way to go Doc! JennyLu... you need help. :P

16 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

I've heard good things about this, but managed to keep enough distance from the details to avoid major spoilers (as in, I have a vague idea what it is about but do not know anything about the story). Thanks for posting your review. I know from the old message boards that you have good taste in science fiction, so your review holds a lot of water for me. PDM and I were talking about going to see it next weekend, if I can get done with work on time (am working on Saturday to do some testing on the linac).

If you get a chance, that Star Trek movie is worth seeing. Lots of fun.

8/22/2009 5:57 PM  
Blogger LL said...

I think you'll like it fermi. I know from your reading list that you like and understand classic sci-fi. I'll be interested in talking with you about it after you go see it to see if you gleaned some of the same things I did.

8/22/2009 6:44 PM  
Blogger fermicat said...

Yeah, a happy ending in sci-fi many times indicates that they strayed from the original story or meaning. I like stuff that makes you think.

8/22/2009 8:28 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I thought a happy ending in sci-fi meant there would be a sequel. I have heard great stuff about both movies can't wait to netflix them! (I don't get a date with Doc until November 18th) and we not going to the movies!

8/23/2009 5:43 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I think it's too gory for me...I'm not a big fan of gore. So, while I appreciate your take on it, I don't see me going to the theatre to check it out.

8/24/2009 9:01 AM  
Blogger LL said...

JennyLu - No movie eh? Hmmm... does that mean you'll be cleaning out the garage instead?

Be still my heart! Kath's back from the dead! Not only that but she comments on all three posts too? Wow... and here I was disappointed that I missed out on the lottery last week... ;)

8/24/2009 3:44 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

WOW is back!!!!!!

8/25/2009 7:05 AM  
Blogger Train Wreck said...

hmmmm... movies? I haven't been to the movies in... well quite awhile. I did however go scouting with my fella last weekend. All day driving in the woods. Saw all types of critters. Loved every minute of it.(even if I had to open all the gates) I'll take that anyday over any movie. AND it's not near as expensive!lol

8/25/2009 7:35 PM  
Blogger LL said...

What you call fun I call everyday life. That means you must be crazy. :P

8/25/2009 8:36 PM  
Blogger The W.O.W. factor! said...

Alright already....LL! How in the heck do you find time for a movie this time of year??? Shouldn't you be climbing some mtns looking over the herds?
If you want some wild entertainment....come on over! We could put ya to work!!
Oopps....not good, nothing would get done, Cowboy loves Sci-Fi too!!

8/25/2009 10:25 PM  
Blogger LL said...

WOWie... if they can't take care of themselves this time of year... I'm in bigger trouble than EVER! As for the work thing... I've learned a long time ago that there's one thing about things to do, they'll always still be there tomorrow. Nobody slips in and get's it done ahead of me. So every once in a while, I run my work schedule, it doesn't run me. ;)

8/26/2009 7:49 AM  
Blogger The W.O.W. factor! said...

Then tell me, LL... CAN an "old dog" learn new tricks??? I need to learn how ... NOT to work so much!!
Seems as I was born to WORK!...and work....then work some more....frown

8/26/2009 9:52 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Ahhhh... yes WOWie my dear... you can always learn something new. I did a few years back, and so can you. But I will admit that it's extremely difficult to do nothing one day a week except relax when you're used to chugging along every day. But you know what? I've gotten to where I look forward to it more and more each week. You've got to give yourself some time to rest and revitalize.

You are just like a garden. You can't just keep extracting things from the soil and never replenish it. Eventually you mine the soil out and then you've wrecked an otherwise productive thing. No... just as wintertime is required for a garden to mellow and revitalize, so too is a weekly day of rest for man. Once I accepted that, I found out that I got much more done on the other six days because I was rested and ready to go.

Truth be told... I probably get MORE done in six than I ever did in seven because my battery's always charged up.

Yup. Just plan ahead a little, cook a couple of meals on Friday, and then at sunset on Friday eve... stop. Do nothing. Not one thing except relax and recover. Cease all activities (except for emergencies) until sunset on Saturday. Don't cook. Don't clean. Don't buy anything. Don't sell anything. Don't go anywhere. Don't worry about anything. There's time enough for that later. Just rest...

I think you'll find that your health will improve as will your outlook on life in general. I've done that now for about 2 years... and I'd recommend it to anyone. Try it for six months or so... then ask yourself if you'd rather go back to being tired all the time and a worn out wife. ;)

8/28/2009 2:44 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

Good flick. Not gory, but kinda gross.

And I'm way ahead of you on the do nothing front. Just sayin. Just one day? Pfft. Slacker.

8/30/2009 12:28 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Yeah, I know P. I'm still trying to work up to taking 7 days off like you. ;)

8/30/2009 5:43 PM  
Blogger fermicat said...

Went to see it today. It was good.

8/30/2009 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home