Thursday, September 14, 2006

Well You May Run Like Mays, But You Hit Like...

Just the other day, I was flipping through the channels and there it was... on Spike. One of the greatest sports films of all time. Major League.

It's one show I can't pass up. I just can't. But then I got to thinking...

Now regular readers of this blog know that when I get to thinking... it's never a good sign. This is no exception. I started to try to remember how many times I've seen Major League and I couldn't put a number on it. I've probably seen it over 100 times all told. Easy.

They say you can always remember your first, and I do. I saw it for the first time in 1989. I think we rewinded the tape and watched it again. I'm fairly sure of that actually...

A couple years later, one of my buddy's girlfriends revealed that she had never seen it, and she was on the college tennis team. So we had to whip it out and show her. When it got to the penultimate sequence and they started playing "Wild Thing"... she looked back at me and said, "Oh man... you would be SO pumped!". It was great...

Then I got roped into a softball team, and we'd watch it after every game. Three years running. At least 25 or 30 times.

I never get tired of it. It's one of the few films that can hold up to such viewing and still be great.

I'm sure there are those of you that might not have seen it, but I seriously doubt it. It's too big of an icon. However, if you haven't... it's probably the first sports comedy and it defined the genre. A crazy bunch of misfits, set up for failure, who end up coming together. There can never be another quite like it, because they're all mere copies of the best.

You know the strangest part? I don't even own a copy...

So tell me... what show can't you get enough of?

************

Today's Mystery Lyric:

I don't mind, the sun at times
the images it shows.
I can taste you on my lips,
and smell you on my clothes...

11 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

I, too, love Major League! GREAT movie. I do own it, however. It's sitting on the floor next to the couch and I'm positive I'll be watching it before the month is out. And every time I see it's on TV, I stop to watch it.

Other movies I will stop to watch every time they're on:

An Affair to Remember
The Poseidon Adventure
Field of Dreams
Just about any Hitchcock (except Psycho).

9/15/2006 5:41 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Oh, damn, I think I know this song for once...

9/15/2006 5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pepper by Butthole Surfers

I have a ton of movies that I can watch over and over. Mostly 80's chick flicks and horror.

I flip through the channels late at night and I can ususally catch something that I have seen a million times.

Halloween is coming up so all the good horror flicks will be running and I will probably watch them.

9/15/2006 7:55 AM  
Blogger fermicat said...

"...whip it out..."?!? Are you trying to scare NYPinTA?

Movies that stay fresh over repeated viewings include:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
all of the Austin Powers movies
Field of Dreams
Bull Durham
the original Star Wars trilogy
Rocky Horror

9/15/2006 11:56 AM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

Do you really want me to answer that? ;P

I will watch The Saint any time it is on. Love that movie, but I don't own a copy.

9/15/2006 12:05 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

OK, I really don't think I've seen it and now it bothers me. I can't get enough of these two guys -- Barat and Bereta. It's this sick new obsession. I even blogged about them.

Why don't I know the songs anymore? I feel so ... so ... unmusical!

9/15/2006 4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big Jake. Bill & Teds excellent adventure. I last heard that song while eating Pepper........while surfing.

9/15/2006 8:58 PM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

It's kind of like The Bad News Bears in Prison, isn't it?

I think I could watch Paper Moon forever and ever.

9/16/2006 11:43 AM  
Blogger LL said...

kath: It's hard to beat.

BC: There were chick flicks in the 80's? :P

fermi: I'm not sure I could sit through the Austin Powers movies for the first time, let alone again...

P: I don't think the Saint counts as a movie. ;)

Beth: I can tell you to add it to your watch list, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

50: Eating pepper while surfing? Now that's skill...

Mr. S: I'm afraid I haven't seen the Bad News Bears in Prison. Was it a Christmas movie?

9/16/2006 5:07 PM  
Blogger fermicat said...

I forgot one: The Princess Bride.

9/16/2006 5:25 PM  
Blogger fakies said...

Lovin' the Major League here too.

Most movies I won't start watching in the middle, especially if it's one I really love. It just seems to ruin it for some reason. But there are a few...

The Princess Bride
Field of Dreams
Gone in 60 Seconds
Bad Boys
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Tommy Boy

9/18/2006 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home