Thursday, December 21, 2006

What a Crock

Ok... so I'm watching "Identity" on and off tonight because it's new and it's as good as anything else that's on (the football game isn't all that great).

For those of you that haven't seen it, there is a contestant and they've got to guess the identities of 12 different people. For each one they get right, the prize pool increases. Guess all twelve and win$500,000.

Of course they've got to add a little suspense, so you get one "mistaken identity" which means that you can miss one and not lose the game. The good thing about this little jewel is that as long as you have it, your winnings are safe. If you lose the mistaken identity, then you've got the choice to take the money you have and run, or risk it all and walk away with nothing should you be wrong. There are also a couple other "helps" which really don't amount to much.

Tonight, the contestant successfully identifies 9 people in a row leaving 3 remaining and preserving her "mistaken identity" freebie. There are two women and a guy left to choose from, and the remaining identities are alligator wrestler, CSI investigator, and kidney donor. If she picks correctly, she's up to $250,000.

The two women, are not really distinguishable from each other, but the guy has long hair in a ponytail, a goatee, is wearing a black sleeveless shirt and looks kinda like an alligator wrestler. As I'm watching this, I'm thinking, "Whoa... if she gets this guy right she can't lose. She'll have the two women left and her "mistaken identity", she wins the big bucks!" For you see, no matter which one she puts with either identity, should she be wrong, her mistaken identity kicks in and she can correct her mistake, as long as she identifies the 10th person correctly.

Given this scenario, you definitely identify the easiest of the three, and she does. The dude, she says, is an alligator wrestler and locks it in. She's right! He is! She wins $250,000 and has her mistaken identity left.

I'm ecstatic! Why am I ecstatic? I'm not going to see any of the dough. I don't know her from Adam Allfox. So why am I happy? She's beat the system! They set up the rules to kick her in the ass, and now she's turned the tables on them! She's got 'em! But wait...

Penn Gillette, the host, steps up and informs her that he's got good news and bad news. The good news is that she's won 250K, the bad news is that she can't win 500K on a mistaken identity so they're taking her mistaken identity away. Talk about pulling something out of your ass at the last minute. What. A. Crock.

Now... I'm a reasonable guy, but I would'a come unglued right then and there and here's why. If I know of this little "situation" before I try to identify number 10, I leave the easiest one on the shelf for my last pick, and I use my mistaken identity to determine which of the two women is the kidney donor, thereby guaranteeing me a cool half mil.

They just stole $250,000 from that poor housewife.

************

Today's Mystery Lyric:

Babe my life is not complete
I've never seen you smile.
Baby you want the forgivin' type
and that's just not my style

8 Comments:

Blogger Sunshine said...

I watched that show, uh, last night maybe?? The jury is still out, suspenseful, yes. But something about it irritates me and I didn't even see that sneaky little rule kick in. That is a bunch of crap.

12/21/2006 9:22 PM  
Blogger fermicat said...

I didn't watch Identity, so I have nothing to add to your post on that. But I did watch Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer, so I felt like I saw you on TV tonight. Then I switched to an On Demand movie. PDM is in North Georgia tonight visiting his brother, so it was my rare chance to watch something he has no interest in.

12/21/2006 10:06 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Yeah Sunny, it's not all that great. Not really enough to hold my interest for an hour, but the ballgame was not good and I've never ponied up to buy NHL Center Ice so the offerings on a Thursday are pitiful at best. I actually tuned in to see Earl, but Identity was on instead.

Aw... fermi you make me blush. Did I look good? Was I wearing my good blue parka? Did I lick my pick axe enough for you? These are all the things I try to do every year at this time. ;)

12/22/2006 8:18 AM  
Blogger fakies said...

I hate game shows for that very reason. At the last second, they always find a way to screw ya. In that way, I guess game shows are kinda like prison, huh?

12/22/2006 8:34 AM  
Blogger LL said...

I'll take your word for it. :P

12/22/2006 8:37 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

What the heck? Were they playing Calvinball or something? You can't change the rules midway through the game. Losers. Glad I didn't watch.

And I totally agree with Fermicat. I watched Rudolph and thought of you every single time Cornelius Yukon was on.

12/22/2006 8:54 AM  
Blogger LL said...

I think they've lost me as part of their viewing audience as well...

Wow... and I'm amazed at you too Kath. You thought about me every time? I sure hope it didn't ruin the show for you now... ;)

12/22/2006 11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let it ride by BACHMAN TURNER OVERDRIVE

12/22/2006 7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home