Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Less Than a Buck?

I had to go to town today, and by that I mean I actually had to drive into town, not the fun kinda "go to town", if you know what I mean...

As I headed into the downtown region, I drove by one of the many "Dollar" stores, but... there were big signs in the window announcing "Going out of Business! Wall to wall Clearance!" which started me thinking. My three regular readers already know that's never a good thing.


So... what exactly does a "clearance" sale at the dollar store mean? Are prices slashed to 98 cents? I mean c'mon... if they can't unload that crap at a buck, where does the price finally have to get to before it moves? "No honey, you can't have that Debbie doll, it's just too much. Oh wait, I guess it's only 65 cents, let's buy two!"

And what happens to the stuff that doesn't sell at any price? Is there a "take this shit off our hands" bin? I'm almost tempted to go back down there, just to actually see what's happening.

************

Today's Mystery Lyric:

Well I saw you in the crowd
and I imagined you were looking back at me.
Two shipwrecked sailors under contract
dreaming of a love that's meant to be.

6 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

Those dollar places are always awful inside. I can only imagine it'll be that much worse when the dollar store becomes the quarter store. Although it might be amusing to people watch in there now.

12/06/2006 5:50 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I can't believe you didn't stop! I love dollar stores, some of them are just so incredibly bad, it's not funny, but then there are the good ones where you can get aluminum foil and stuff that costs twice as much at the grocery store.

I think you need to go back and find the "We can't sell this crap, so please just take it" bin.

12/07/2006 8:16 AM  
Blogger fakies said...

I love dollar stores, specifically Dollar General. It's that cheapskate DNA that was passed down from my grandma. She would buy anything if it was only a quarter. What a bargain!

12/07/2006 10:06 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Yeah, I'll bet it's a regular feeding frenzy in there.

Kath, I can always stop at one of the other 4 that are still there. You know it's a dog eat dog world when the Dollar store goes under.

KTM, my larder's are already full of "bargains". In fact, I think you can still go broke buying bargains like these.

12/07/2006 9:47 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Being in a dollar store usually leaves me with the feeling of wanting to immediately use hand sanitizer. And I'm only mildly germophobic.

12/08/2006 2:04 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Sunny, I've been elbow deep in the nether regions of a cow. Dollar stores don't phase me in the least.

I think it's best I don't mention the really bad places I've encountered in my lifetime...

12/08/2006 9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home