Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Talking to Some Chinese

I know I've been shamelessly singled out by fermicat and that you're all dying (HA!) to know what that meme reveals, but you'll just have to wait a little longer.

Yes, today I've got to speak about something that I'm not all that fond of... college football.

I've never been a fan of college ball. I'm a big pro ball guy, but college? Not so much. But anyway, last night I had to watch the Fiesta Bowl. I didn't go to Boise State, but I was almost duty bound to watch anyway. After all... it's the first time that any Idaho school has been in a major bowl game, and I had to see how bad Oklahoma would spank 'em.

Sometime after the opening kickoff though, a couple of Chinese guys must have shown up because we were talking to them for the rest of the game. Their names were Ho Lee Crap, and his twin brothers, Ho Lee Shite and Ho Lee Cow. They were definitely in the conversation a lot.

For those of you that didn't watch the game, it turned out to be a real barn burner. BSU took an early lead and then let OU hang around for the entire game and then tie it up with about a minute and a half left. BSU has some skilled players, and even though they were pretty flat, they had 2 timeouts left and could definitely get into field goal range for the win.

The first play after the kickoff found the BSU quarterback throwing an ill advised pass which an OU defensive back intercepted and ran back for a touchdown, sealing BSU's fate. Hey Cinderella, guess what. It's midnight. After all... OU now had a 7 point lead with 1:03 left in the game.

But by gad, the BSU boys didn't lay down just yet. They took the ball on the kickoff and made it up to around their own 22. Then they worked their way past midfield and made it to the Oklahoma 40 yard line. Now, if they wouldn't have thrown the interception, all they would have needed was about 15 more yards to kick a field goal. Unfortunately, when trailing by 7, three doesn't do you much good. So what do you do? Drop back for a pass and get sacked for an 8 yard loss. Crap! Then you throw a couple of incompletes to make it 4th and 18, just to add to the drama.

Well... one play left or the game's over. BSU opens up the bag o' plays and calls a hook and lateral. For the non-football heathens among you, that means the quarterback throws the ball to a player who draws the defense to him for the tackle only to pitch it to another player heading the opposite direction. They ran it to perfection. Not only did they get the 18 yards, but the guy was able to turn the corner and run it in to the end zone for the hopeful tie if they scored the extra point, which they did, with only 7 seconds left.

Overtime.

OU runs one play in OT, and scores a touchdown, followed by an extra point.

BSU takes their opportunity and squanders many chances so that they can get to 4th and goal from the 5. But I'll be dipped if they didn't run a direct snap to the flanker who threw it for a touchdown. My bro and I are now advising them to go for the two point conversion and the win. We must be good coaches, because that's what they did, only they ran another trick play where they fake a pass one way and hand off to the running back going the opposite. He ran into the end zone for the score and the win.

It was quite possibly the best college game I've ever watched.

8 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

Welcome to the exciting world of college football! Maybe you should watch it more often. I think it is WAY more fun than pro.

Glad you had a better outcome than my team did (but at least we put up a good fight).

1/02/2007 9:14 AM  
Blogger fakies said...

It's a good thing you guys were there to advise them through the TV. They'd have just been lost otherwise, I'm sure.

Our Huskers got smoked this weekend. But it was fairly evenly matched at least. I didn't watch the game anyway, so my life hasn't changed because of it.

1/02/2007 9:17 AM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

I agree with Fermicat, college ball is more fun! Come join us in the basal ranks of beer bongs and fight songs!
Sounds like the game was great, hubby left yesterday for the Sugar Bowl (Go ND!) so I've been running things solo and have missed many games in favor of watching movies with the kids. Sorry to have missed that one, was certainly one for the history books!

1/02/2007 10:45 AM  
Blogger LL said...

I'm afraid I can't join the darkside ladies. I appreciate the finer things in life like watching the creme de la creme compete on Sundays. College ball has just too many ups and downs for my taste.

Sorry Sunny, I've got to say that I'm not a ND fan at all. Just the opposite really, I can't stand 'em, and I don't even follow college ball. They're right up there with BYU... *blech*

Yeah KTM, it probably is a good thing that they've got coaches like me on the couch. :P

1/02/2007 1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant watch the college games either. I prefer the big boys.

Oh and the word verification this time is wweeds... Something you wanna tell us LL? LOLOLOL

1/02/2007 3:01 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I'm not into college football AT ALL, but I always think athletes work harder before they get the big contracts so I imagine it's a lot more exciting!

1/03/2007 8:38 AM  
Blogger fermicat said...

College football has more passion and fewer prima donnas. That is why I prefer it over pro... any day, any team. But all of you pro fans will have a great time watching Calvin Johnson catch passes in the NFL. As much as I would like to see him stay at Ga Tech for his senior year, I don't hold out much hope for that to actually happen.

1/03/2007 8:56 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Okay, you actually made me care about a football game which is damned difficult. Having been to Boise and the Boise State campus, I was totally rooting for them the whole way (through this post).

1/05/2007 8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home