Sunday, February 01, 2009

A Day in the Life...(Continued)

So when we last left... One tractor was down with a faulty glow plug switch and a flat tire... Another was 5 miles down the road...

The next morning was just as foggy, and a little bit more crisp. But right after breakfast, we headed to town.

Since we hadn't loaded up the day before, we started the other tractor (a 656) and threw a quick load onto the pickup. We'd also gotten a call the day before and a friend had a few of our cows in his corral, so we ran up there and loaded them into the trailer while my mom drove the hay back home.

After grabbing the cows... I buttoned up my coat, tied my earflaps down, and jumped into the seat of the 656 and made the foggy drive back home. It was... a bit cool.

So we got back home, dumped the cattle off, jumped into the pickup and fed the hay that we'd just loaded.

After that, we went back to the haystack and I jumped on the 656 and pulled in to grab a big bale of hay. I latched onto that sucker and pulled back on the hydraulic valve and with a large *pssssssssssssssssssssss* a hydraulic hose broke and sprayed oil all over me and the rest of the tractor. Without this particular hose... I couldn't load anything. It was at this point that I might have said a couple of cuss words... We were able to get the tractor over to the shed though.

Ok... time to make a new plan.

Cannibalism is a common practice on any place like ours, so we pulled the front tire off of the 656 and ran down to my house to the shop where the 560 was.

Once there, we pulled the flat tire off of the front of the 560, put the other tire on it (it fit), and hooked the battery charger up to the glow plugs to warm up the engine. Once it fired... I drove it up the road... loaded the ton bales on the pickup and then we finished feeding. Then I drove the 560 (not my tractor, but it is a picture of a 560) back to my place and the shop. And we went back to town to load up for the next day.

The tire has been fixed, the hose repaired, and the glow plug switch replaced. But there you have it... just a fairly common day in the life of your favorite Loser...

****************************

Today's mystery lyric: (Remember the rules folks, no online searching of the lyrics, if you don't know it, you don't have the answer!)

In all I read
Till the day was gone
And I sat in regret
In all the things Ive done
For all that I've blessed
And all that I've wronged
In dreams till my death
I will wonder on

Answer to last lyric: I Hate Everything About You by Three Days Grace Way to go Dani!

20 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yep, sounds like many a day on the farm. You forgot the broken axle on the Case when plowing the north section. {*grin*}

2/01/2009 11:04 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

OK, son loves this band. Audioslave, Like a Stone. Great song. Great choice.

2/02/2009 7:32 AM  
Blogger fermicat said...

Cool tractor, at least if yours looks like the photo you linked to. My Dad had an old Ford tractor that had been in the family a long time. He seemed to really enjoy working on it, and kept it in very good condition. One of my favorite photos of him is a candid I took of him on that tractor.

2/02/2009 8:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, I love these posts...pretty interesting to us "urbanites"
P.S I'll be back to play the game..

2/03/2009 12:38 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

You dingbat, LL. If you loved ME, you wouldn't be in such predicaments. Instead you'd be cruising the sea, fishing for bugs with a boat held together with duct tape and spit.

2/03/2009 3:59 PM  
Blogger The W.O.W. factor! said...

Ok,here's the thing, LL...the broken hydraulic hose is reason you need to be careful in your search for a wife! I bet you just tossed those clothes in your washer...
Smelling everything up! Nothing, well almost nothing, is worse!! Hyraulic fluid!
Keep your hat with flaps handy...winter is going to hang around your parts longer than mine! My Cowboy already hung his up!
...ya know, sometimes you get what you wish for...

2/03/2009 10:55 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Dan - Nope... we don't have a Case.

Beth - Ooooo! Getting in early this time.

fermi - Ours isn't nearly that shiny. It looks like a tractor that's had about 45 years of use under it's belt. Oh... and it has a front end loader on it.

dani - glad I could be of service.

Deb - Just because you keep professing your undying love for ME doesn't mean the feeling is mutual. And I don' need no steenkin' duct tape here... just a little balin' wire. ;)

WOWie - I hate to admit this... but I'm not exactly sure I've laundered those particular garments yet. In fact... I know I haven't. Besides... there are sooooo many worse smells than hydraulic fluid. I still keep my hat on, but I have gone without a jacket for the last few days...

2/04/2009 8:56 AM  
Blogger Train Wreck said...

Audio Slave? You listen to Audio Slave? blink blink? Will wonders never cease. That is a great looking tractor, needs more rust. I'm sure yours is better lookin. I hear you are still getting snow there.I have a friend from there, that just came here, to get out of there. I can picture you all bundled up ear flaps and all. Oh and gear oil, it is the worst smell! blech, it stinks!

2/04/2009 2:33 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

the cat ate the hose, don't believe it is an act of GOD or naything.

2/05/2009 8:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Whoo hoo !!!!!!

2/05/2009 10:51 PM  
Blogger Train Wreck said...

LL? What are you saying? I am not likeable? Someone cannot merely like me for me? My culinary skills are quite good, but everyone knows I have no money! Silly rancher! You have frost bite of the brain....
Plus he is from Idaho? Aren't all men from Idaho, sweet and honest, and handsome, and...

2/06/2009 4:22 PM  
Blogger Train Wreck said...

LL? What are you saying? I am not likeable? Someone cannot merely like me for me? My culinary skills are quite good, but everyone knows I have no money! Silly rancher! You have frost bite of the brain....
Plus he is from Idaho? Aren't all men from Idaho, sweet and honest, and handsome, and...

2/06/2009 4:22 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

The only thing I've had to do outside in the past month is shovel my walkway. Once.

2/07/2009 12:03 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Crap, you've posted more often than I have of late...I must really be slacking.

2/11/2009 11:48 AM  
Blogger Train Wreck said...

Chicken

2/11/2009 8:13 PM  
Blogger Train Wreck said...

Oh LL you wouldn't be brave enough to give me you address anyway. So even if you were lucky enough to win anything, I would end up feeding it to the chickens. Or using it to start a fire.
Happy Valentines day to you you...bachelor! ;)

2/11/2009 9:51 PM  
Blogger LL said...

JennyLu - no... actually it was mostly my fault. I nicked the hose with a grinder when I was fixing the front loader. Didn't look that bad, but...

Dani - erm... yay?

P - Oh you poor thing! I hope you didn't catch a chill or anything...

Kath - Yes... yes you are. Erm... I mean... hey! Waitaminute!

TDub... where to begin with you... yes... I'm a slave to the audio, and there are much worse smells than gear oil, trust me. And yes... you've gotta keep both eyes on anyone from Idaho... especially if they live in Arizona during the wintertime. I'm not chicken either... just cautious. ;) Finally... you're probably right about one thing... I probably wouldn't be FOOLISH enough to give you my addy either. :P

2/11/2009 10:17 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

Nope. Didn't even break a nail.

2/12/2009 3:52 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Really LL I wouldn't give TW my addy either, did you see the pic's of what she did to WOW?

2/12/2009 7:17 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Now that's a cool tractor.

"It was... a bit cool." I would have said, "It was FREEZING BUTT COLD!"

2/17/2009 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home