Friday, February 20, 2009

Even More Storytellin...

As my irregular readers know... I'm wont to tell a story from time to time. The best, or worst, thing about these tales is well... that they're true.

Now I could tell you the story about when my great uncle took out his false teeth and set them on the table, but I won't.

Or I could tell you about the times that we went skinny dippin' in the beaver ponds... but I won't.

Or I could even tell you about the time in high school when we had a football game that was won in the last seconds by our defense and a fumble recovery for a touchdown. But once again... I won't.

No... today's tale is the sad tale of Brent and his magic disappearing steak.

We were camped up on the mountain moving cattle to the high range. As I've told you all before... during the summer rides, such as this one, we'd get up before sunrise and eat breakfast and then head out and move the cattle around until around lunch time. After that... we'd come back to the cabin and eat lunch, take a little nap, and then catch another horse and head back out for another evening ride until around dark or so. We spent many a night trotting back to the cabin in the dark, which is actually kinda cool. As you trot along... the horse's shoes strike against the rocks on the road and throw sparks. It can be kind of interesting to watch. But alas... by that time, you're so tired it doesn't hold the fascination that it should. Anyway...

Anyway... my mom and one of the other wives always went up there and cooked for all of us. We'd always have a hot meal waiting for us whenever we'd get back. Believe it or not... that's no small item when you're hot and tired.

On this day, the fare was creamed corn, dutch oven spuds, and steak... freshly cooked steak.

Back in the day, we didn't have tables or anything like that to eat on, there was only room for chairs in the camp wagon. So you'd go get your plate full of food, pick out your favorite chair, sit down and eat. Of course, if you had a drink, you'd have to try to balance your drink too, or set it on the ground, and take a hit when you needed one.

Well... we'd all lined up and got our plates filled, sat down and started eating. Everyone, except for Brent. Brent finally filled his plate up, but ran out of room, so he had them just put the steak on top of the already full plate, then he sat down.

He looked around and could tell he was in a quandry. He had a full plate in one hand... a full drink in the other. One of them had to go. An easy choice. Brent turned his head to the left and looked for a good semi-level spot to set his drink down.

Due to the layout of the chairs... a few of us were looking right at him as he was going through the much repeated routine. Of course... there was another looking at him too. This particular foe had evil in his mind from the moment that he saw that large chunk of meat laying right on top of the plate. When Brent turned to the left to set his drink down, he made his move.

The dog slipped in silently and quickly while Brent's attention was turned and snatched the steak right off of his plate and then ran off with his booty.

Now the rest of us were watching in somewhat stunned silence at the events as they transpired and Brent sat his drink down and turned back to chow down but... erm... Wha???

I'll never forget the look on his face and neither will anybody else that was there. The complete and utter look of confusion as he looked at his plate, then at the ground, then at the people sitting closest to him, all the time wondering what the hell happened to his steak.

We all busted up at that point and told him what had happened. He couldn't help but laugh either so he had to get back up and get another chunk of meat. However this time he gave all the dogs a dirty look as he sat down and might have even cussed a couple that were giving his new steak longing looks...

Needless to say... I've never taken my eyes off of my plate when eating up there ever since.

****************************

Today's mystery lyric: (Remember the rules folks, no online searching of the lyrics, if you don't know it, you don't have the answer!) Tough one folks!!!

Take a chance
Leave everything behind you
Come and join me
Won't be sorry
It's easy to survive

Answer to last lyric: Like a Stone by Audioslave. Way to go Beth!

34 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm dredging my mind for the lyric and it seems to me it is from a song by a singer I hated from the 80's?

Not sure, but I'll guess that's his song. The song stuck in my mind because I was car pooling in LA in the 80's and heard the same song twice a day for 4 weeks until the driver finally switched tapes. I swore if I ever heard it again, someone was going to die. I also seem to remember a refrain about monkey business in it as well. I might just be crazy. {*grin*} Tarzan something?

2/20/2009 10:54 PM  
Blogger The W.O.W. factor! said...

Whaaaaat?? Creamed corn??? Those words are enough to make me find the porcelain again!
But hey...don't the dogs work harder'n you cowboys and deserve to eat first??

2/21/2009 10:15 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

You prolly stole the hunk of meat and just didn't have a cat to blame it on.

2/21/2009 5:30 PM  
Blogger Train Wreck said...

Well now I leave for the weekend and miss a story tellin, and campfire. That would have been a funny sight. Made even better by it happening to someone else. Nothing tastes better than dutch oven cooking, or anything cooked outside. If I could cook over a fire or on a grill everyday I'd love it. I would also weigh 300 llbs! So would my dogs! So about your other stories....

2/22/2009 6:05 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Dan - You're very close, and I wouldn't be surprised if you don't actually recognize the song immediately when it's revealed.

WOWie - You don't like creamed corn? We'd usually use it as gravy up there...
As for the dogs... we could barely afford to feed the cowboys, so no sense in wasting good food on some crummy dog. BTW... the dog wasn't mine. ;)

Red - Nope... I had no reason to steal it, I had a full plate of my own to guard. As for the cats, the only cats in that part of the world are cougars.

TW - Yup. That's what you get for galavantin' all over the world. However, as WOW can tell you, cooking out of dutch ovens and open pits get real old real quick when you're packing and gathering wood everyday. As for the other stories... in time my dear, in time...

2/23/2009 8:26 AM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

Ha. The dog was smart enough to get the steak, so I'd say he earned it. Well, sort of.

2/23/2009 3:19 PM  
Blogger fermicat said...

I can relate. My old Rottweiler Desi (RIP) once grabbed a cut of raw filet mignon off the counter when I had my back turned. It wasn't the first time he treated the kitchen counter as his personal "doggy grab bag". He didn't care what was up there, he wanted it and he was tall enough to easily get it. But when he ate that filet I could have cried.

2/23/2009 8:57 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

I bet the dog tells that very same story. Only his version starts, "On the best day of my life..."

2/24/2009 11:40 AM  
Blogger MacRankin said...

I hope you always remember to put them back in afterwards -- your eyes, that is. LOL

2/24/2009 3:45 PM  
Blogger The W.O.W. factor! said...

NO!!! Creamed corn I would NOT eat if I were starving!! I know....gravy, but I can do w/o it if CC is all there is!!
See how you are? I bet had it been YOUR dog..you'd have shared, right?
And you are sooo right about dutch oven cooking..get's old pretty darn quick, but hey~builds muscles!! And burns the soles right off of your boots as an added benefit!

2/25/2009 2:02 AM  
Blogger Train Wreck said...

Ok first, The men do the cooking when we are camping. We women just prepare it for the DO.Although it does get pretty warm tryint to make homeade tortillas. Yep that's my job. Then the guys clean up! lol one of the only times they do.So it might take awhile for me to tire of this.;)
Now, you know I have a friend who lives in Idaho? Who goes back and fourth for the winter/summer. Watch out you might have bought a horse.heh heh

2/25/2009 9:03 AM  
Blogger tiff said...

Surpirngly, this is the first time something awkward has happend and I wasn't blamed.

What a great day.

2/25/2009 11:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I want to camp with meat !!!!

2/27/2009 4:38 PM  
Blogger BC said...

The song is Tarzan Boy.

7 weeks til my camp season opens. Whoohoo.

Since I read this I have been wanting some steak for dinner.

2/27/2009 8:02 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

That was survival of the fittest. Dogs rule!

I rarely know your song lyric thing. Damn! I am lyrically challenged. Hope you still like ME.

3/01/2009 7:19 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

As usual, no clue on the lyrics.

I'm with W.O.W. Creamed corn is disgusting. Hell, I'd eat the steak before I'd go near the creamed corn. And this means that if I had been Brent, there would have been plenty of room on my plate for the steak and the dog wouldn't have been in luck that night.

3/02/2009 11:06 AM  
Blogger LL said...

P - As long as it wasn't my steak... I guess he did earn it.

fermi - hard to lose a filet to anything, let alone a dog.

Tink - If that was the best day of his life... he probably deserved the steak. ;)

Madre - Yes... I almost forgot them once, but found them eventually. You know how hard it is to find your eyes when you need them to look for your eyes?

WOWie - I can't believe you don't do creamed corn. Weren't you raised right or sometin? ;)

TW - I've got to get your recipe for tortillas now. Mine always come out... erm... hard. As for the pony... depending on the price, I just might wind up with him. ;)

Tiff - You love it when I blame you and you know it!

Danigirl - You want to camp with meat? I... erm... I... nope. Not gonna touch that one. ;P

BC - Oooo... close, but nope. That's not the song. BTW, I'm having steak tonight.

Deb - Dogs do rule... just ask my redheaded girlfriend. And do I still like ME? I dunno... but that topless coffee shop sure does lead to some ME love...

Kath - What? You too? What is wrong with you people? How can you turn your nose up at creamed corn? And let me get this straight... if you come out here and I serve you creamed corn and steak... you'll turn aside from your vegetarian ways and go for the steak? Good to know my dear, good to know... :P

Oh... we only eat cc up on the mountain. Never have it at home.

3/02/2009 5:18 PM  
Blogger BC said...

OMG I got one wrong? Mark that on the calendar. ;o) :P

Trade you that steak for a roasted chicken.

3/02/2009 5:58 PM  
Blogger Train Wreck said...

Hahaha I used to make tortilla crackers too. It is a consistency thing. My grandmother showed me how to make them as a girl. Hers were the best. I will email you the recipe, if you want. Now about the price on horse....

3/03/2009 3:51 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Go for it TW. And we can talk about the horse too...

The horse I learned to ride on was a dun, and I've always been partial to them ever since.

3/03/2009 7:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Where have you been ? Ive havent seen you at hbdc ?

3/04/2009 12:00 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Nor will you Danigirl... I've been banned. You'll most likely only see me in the blogosphere from now on...

3/04/2009 7:55 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Glad you got banned, maybe we will hear more from you here at the blogosphere!

3/04/2009 9:25 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Probably not JennyLu...

The two are pretty well unrelated.

3/04/2009 1:01 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Ohh Ohh LL, Fermi put up a pic of her cat's inards just for you!

3/06/2009 6:22 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I know, I got the mystery lyric last time. Woohoo! Not this time though.

Wow, bad dog with that steak!!! And now I want steak. I imagine your steaks are particularly delicious because of the freshness and how you raise cattle.

3/09/2009 7:40 AM  
Blogger LL said...

I'm bizzy!

3/11/2009 11:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How the hell am I supposed to stalk you now?
You need o put one of those little chat box thingys on your site !!!

3/13/2009 4:00 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Yeah... that's all I need is a chatroom around here... I'd never get rid of you people!

3/13/2009 10:07 PM  
Blogger Charmaine said...

Hi Handsome.

wink wink.

I got nothin to say today. I'm just going to flirt with people.

3/14/2009 2:53 PM  
Blogger Charmaine said...

Hey, you need to come back over to my email and tell me how to do that humour blogger thang stuff.

I deleted everything, obviously in a drunken stupor.

3/14/2009 3:37 PM  
Blogger Charmaine said...

LL- You're my go-to man today.

Suddenly, for some reason, I can't access Train Wreck. What's goin on????

I can't handle any more rejection after being rejected as a white Irish woman rapper.

3/14/2009 3:45 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Creamed corn isn't vegetarian...it's vile and disgusting. Just the thought makes me gag.

And since I'm pretty sure you're never going to invite me to visit you...yes, I'd eat the steak. ;-P

3/18/2009 9:57 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Oh baby... you sure know how to weasel an invitation out of a guy, don't you...

3/19/2009 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home