Monday, September 18, 2006

Playin' In The S***

Yes... you'll never guess what I had to do on Saturday. Thanks to some helpful soul, who left a gate open, or dropped it intentionally, I had to go out with the crew and make a quick roundup of some cattle. There weren't very many, and they weren't that far away from our allotment, so we all grabbed our 4-wheelers and headed up to the high country.

It was cold and rainy here all day Friday, and the forecast didn't look too shiny for Saturday morn, so I called one of the crew and asked if the plans had changed any, and he hadn't heard of any changes, so I went to sleep with visions of sugarplums dancing in my head. Ok... maybe not sugarplums... but there might have been dancing. :lech:

When I awoke bright and early the next day, there was a definate chill in the air. The temp outside was a balmy 34 and inside it was a blissful 50. Needless to say, it didn't take me long to get dressed and out the door.

I loaded up the bike and then went down to pick up another guy and his, all the while waiting for the pickup heater to warm up. It was lightly sprinkling when we loaded his outfit, and he was kind enough to give me a refill on my coffee mug right before we headed out.

So we slipped up the road, met up with the rest of the crew, and then made our way up to the cattle.

As we were driving, it started to become clear that it might be a bit "airish" outside. I'm no weather man, but when you see the little sagebrush whipping back and forth in the breeze, I can take the hint.

As our elevation increased, so did the wind, but the rain quit altogether. Yep... we were almost touching the clouds and there was no rain in sight. All there was was snow.

That's right. Honest to goodness white stuff. All over the ground, and falling from the sky.

When we finally unloaded, we all asked who's bright idea this was, but nobody wanted to fess up to it, and after all... we were already there and there was no sense in making the 60 mile drive again, so we headed out to get the cattle.

Now when you're up above the snow line, on a four-wheeler, with a modest 20mph breeze, plus the speed of the bike... it get's a bit chilly. Fortunately, I'd planned ahead and was fairly well prepared for it, but I'd made one crucial error. I wore a cowboy hat instead of my Elmer Fudd cap. I thought my logic was sound, but it turns out, it was flawed. I thought that if we got rained on, the cowboy hat would shed much more water while Elmer would just soak it up. I forgot however, that where we were going would be above the snow line, and rain wouldn't be a problem. So I wound up with cold ears. Meh... a kid's gotta learn.

We got around the cattle and headed them back to where they belonged and then the blizzard hit. It was a pretty good one actually, but fortunately for us, it was at our backs by then.

To make a short story long, one guy took the cow herd and the other 5 of us messed around with two obnoxious bulls until finally they decided they weren't going anywhere, and started to take after us. At which point we decided that they weren't ours to begin with, and they weren't worth anyone getting hurt over, so we skeedaddled on out of there, loaded up and thawed out.

************

Today's Mystery Lyric:

The moral of this story
never judge by what they wear.
Underneath some ragged clothes
could be a millionaire.

8 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

Cold... Rain... Snow... Blizzard? Isn't it just September? I guess you don't need that air conditioner any more.

The weather was fine here in Atlanta. I got hot sitting in the sun watching the football game. And no cattle were misplaced.

9/18/2006 5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was 82 today but now is the time for Indian Summer here. But it willbe raining all week.

But for you, you can say that it all begins now. Your elevation is much higher. More snow also means more water later.

Song lyrics:

Cowboy In The Continental Suit - Marty Robbins but Chris Ledux did the remake.

9/18/2006 7:44 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I could never live anywhere that got a freaking blizzard in SEPTEMBER when it's still officially SUMMER!!! That's a big NFW in my book.

You're a much better man than me.

9/19/2006 6:59 AM  
Blogger fakies said...

Don't be talking snow, mister. Every time you get crap weather, it starts filtering this way. We were sitting at 46 degrees yesterday, and we had a hard frost last night. This is all your fault.

9/19/2006 10:38 AM  
Blogger fermicat said...

Would it make you feel better if I told you a cold front just came through here today? I should probably leave out the part about how it made the temp go from hot to comfortable. Oops. :P

9/19/2006 4:37 PM  
Blogger LL said...

fermi: the answers to your questions are: Yes. Yes. No. As for your second comment... it was a balmy 68 here today. Quite pleasant actually. Of course it's supposed to rain again tonight...

BC: Snow in March does me more good than snow in September.

Kath: Oh c'mon... it's not that bad. :P

KTM: Heh, heh, heh... Can I help it if when we flush something Nebraska gets it?

9/19/2006 5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"BC: Snow in March does me more good than snow in September."

Yeah true.. I didnt think of it that way. I was thinking that it would still be there. *dunno*

But I do laugh at the title you chose for this post. At first I didnt catch it as snow. ;o) :P

9/19/2006 6:09 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Wow, snow! Just the thought of it makes me wince. I used to love the change of seasons, loved the white stuff, but now when it falls, I seem to fall with it -- into a deep depression.

Cold ears are better than a cold arse, right? Haha.

I'm sucking at mystery lyrics lately. =/

9/21/2006 4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home