Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Another Sad Day For the Loser

Back in June, I posted about one of my mentors, Wayne Hage, passing away. Today... well... we're back on the same subject.

Yesterday, Wayne's wife Helen was killed in a car wreck.

I can't tell you all how much they meant to me, and how many times they'd taken time out of their schedules to visit with me.

She was a very special lady.

There are a few of you who read this blog, who may have considered her the very devil, but you never met her. She was very witty and clever. But... she said what she believed, and she never compromised her beliefs, even when politically expedient. This earned her a lot of enemies while she served in Congress, but tremendous respect from us, her minions. :P

While she was in Congress, there was a big push to list Salmon as an endangered specie. This would have crippled much of this state. She thought the suggestion was ludacris, and she protested it in her own special way. She'd host salmon bakes. Her message was simple but subtle... how can salmon be endangered when you can buy as much as you want in any store. This too earned her many enemies, and three terms in office.

I liked her. I'll miss her.

Goodbye Helen.

5 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

LL, I'm so sorry for your loss. You know from reading my own blog last week how these things can come out of nowhere and blindside you, so I definitely understand sudden changes. She sounds like an intelligent lady with a ton of integrity. And a good sense of humor.

Hugs, Christie.

10/03/2006 9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Much love coming to you. I know how much they meant to you just from our chats about them. My deepest sympathies for you and your family and theirs. They both touched alot of lives and they wont be forgotten.

10/04/2006 9:14 AM  
Blogger fakies said...

I had to laugh at the article I read yesterday about her. At some public event, protesters threw rotten salmon on her. She just brushed it off, laughed and said, "So I guess salmon isn't endangered anymore?" That's my kinda gal.

10/04/2006 1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry it had to happen to you again there LL.

I'll shall be thinking of you...

10/08/2006 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not the half can be told of the kind of person Helen was. She had a bearing about her that was positively regal, and she just drew you in. She had an immense amount of character and backbone. She was a truly an amazing person. If she'd have been in Philadelphia in 1776 she would have been one of the founding mothers.

10/09/2006 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home