Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Seeing How Death...

... a necessary end, will come when it will come." -- Shakespeare, Julius Ceasar

I spoke about this in my comment a couple posts back, but anyway... another good friend died on Sunday.

He'd gotten home from church and eaten supper with his wife and two kids, then complained that he was quite tired and went over to the recliner to relax. His wife and children were still in the dining area or kitchen when they heard a large exhale of breath. His 13 year old boy went in to see what the sound was and saw his dad slumped down in the recliner, not breathing. He called out to his mom and they started to do CPR until the cousin they'd called got there and helped them. Unfortunately, despite all of their efforts, and those of the paramedics, he never was revived.

He was quite a guy, but now he's gone at 48 leaving behind his wife, young son, and younger daughter. We'll bury him this Friday. :(

Now... well a couple hours ago, my mom called me and told me that one of my Aunts just had a heart attack and they had to life-flight her to another hospital. So... I guess we'll have to see how this one works out too.

**********************
UPDATE! Turns out she didn't have a heart attack, but she does have a major blockage and they're going to do a quintuple bypass in the morning. So... it's still not "good news" but it is better.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sunshine said...

Very sorry to hear that. I have, for better or worse, very little experience with death. I grew up enjoying 4 great-grandparents, and now in my mid-30s, I still have 1 great-grandma left!
Still, I think it's "easier" to bury someone who has lived a long and full life. Someone who leaves us long before we think is "right" or "normal", that almost seems harder. I'll have you all in my thoughts, most especially his wife and children.

11/02/2006 8:18 AM  
Blogger tiff said...

48 is too young. It's exactly how old my husband is.

You have my sympathies.

11/02/2006 8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences go out to you and his family. As you know from my message last night that things can happen at any given moment. *HUG*

11/02/2006 9:51 AM  
Blogger fakies said...

Was it a heart attack? My grandfather died like that. Was in the middle of a sentence, gasped, and was gone that fast.

My mom gets so worked up when she hears about people that young dying, because they are now younger than her. It makes her even more manic about her health.

I'm not afraid of dying young. What scares me is living as a vegetable or paralyzed after a stroke or accident.That's worse than death.

11/02/2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Thanks for the condolences. And yes... 48 isn't all that old.

Welcome to the End of the World Tiff! I welcome you and your snark. ;) But what are you trying to do? Turn me into a microblogger with hundreds of hits a day? Of all the nerve... :P

I don't know if it was a heart attack or not. We kinda suspect it, but I doubt they did an autopsy to make sure. At this point, I'm not sure it matters.

When my dad used to try to embarass me or guilt me into something by complaining about changing my diapers, I'd say, "Yeah, I'm not looking forward to changing yours either." He's kinda stopped doing that. ;)

11/02/2006 12:36 PM  
Blogger fermicat said...

I'm glad the news about your aunt improved and wish her well. Sorry to hear about your friend. I just had a friend die suddenly and it is a difficult thing to experience. And yes, 48 is young, and seems younger every year.

11/02/2006 4:06 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Holy crap, 48 is much too young (and much too close for my peace of mind). I hope his wife and kids are doing okay and perhaps take a little consolation in that he went quickly and painlessly?

11/08/2006 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home