Thursday, November 15, 2007

Tagged and Bagged...

As some of you already know, the darling and extremely nice KTM tagged me for that SEO meme that requires you to actually know what you're doing in order to complete it.

As I understand it, the purpose of the meme is to spread your tendrils out there on the web so that your blog becomes worth more... or something. And here's where the problem occurs...

A few posts back, a fellow blogger from Italy commented on here about his blog and asked if I would be willing to cross link to it. I didn't blow him off completely, but actually went over to his blog and had a look around. I decided not to link to him because it didn't seem like the thing to do, linking to a complete stranger half way across the world, but he had a little button on there that asked, "how much is your blog worth?" It's a good question, so I clicked it.

Once I was there, it asked me to type in the blog address and then it used some sort of Technorati algorithm to determine how many links there were to the blog and used that information to calculate the dollar value of the blog.

Now those of you that hang around here a little bit already know that I don't care if anyone reads this or not. I didn't start it because I wanted to develop some sort of cult following or turn it into a money making affair. That being said, I punched in the ol' addy here and guess what my blog was worth? "Your blog is worth $0." I was so proud. *sniff*

So I decided to punch in a few of yours too. Most of you do have blogs worth something, so you're not exactly worthless, but Sunny took the prize. Her blog was worth over $42,000.

Now... all that said, I'm happy with my worthless little corner of the world, and I don't want wreck my perfect record so...

Despite the tag, I won't be participating in the SEO meme... I'm sure you're all broken hearted about that.

17 Comments:

Blogger Sunshine said...

Just tell me who is sending the check and when I should expect it. It's almost Christmas and I could use some shopping fundage.

11/15/2007 9:58 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Dammit! Now I'm worth $1700. I just need to figure out which one of you is responsible for this...

11/17/2007 12:01 PM  
Blogger BC said...

Wasnt me. LOLOL

11/17/2007 12:13 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

Do I want to know what mine is worth?

11/18/2007 6:54 PM  
Blogger LL said...

I don't know... do you?

*psst* $564.54

11/18/2007 7:11 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Sunshine is trying to make money through her blog. That's what all the linkage and having buttons traced back to her is all about, but I am not. If I turn blogging into a business, I'll hate it!

11/19/2007 9:27 AM  
Blogger tiff said...

As of not long ag, mine was wroth nothing as well.

How proud am I of this? Inordinately, I answer.

11/19/2007 2:44 PM  
Blogger tiff said...

Crap - I just did the search, and it's worth a LOT more than nothing now.

Grrrr.....

11/19/2007 2:46 PM  
Blogger LL said...

$29,000!!! Yeah... I'd say you've come a long way from nothing Tiffy babe. Must be that new job. ;)

However, if a check for $29,000 came rolling in every month, I'd wager you'd be inordinately proud of that too...

And you know Beth... I'm going to also wager yours is worth a lot more than you think... let me go see... Yup... $7900... not too shabby my dear, not too shabby.

11/19/2007 4:03 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I'm hoping that mine's worth $1. Just because I think I would be severely saddened and disappointed if I contemplated my lowly little blog being worth big bucks.

11/20/2007 8:03 AM  
Blogger tiff said...

How on EARTH did it get to be worth that?

Of course, knowing that the guy who own this search thingie has a worth of over 6 million bucks makes me feel somewhat better.

29K a month? I wouldn't turn it down. Heck NO.

11/20/2007 9:18 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Did you participate in that fancy-pants meme Tiff? If so... I'm wagering that's what boosted the price...

The way I understand the calculation... everytime someone links to your blog or one of your postings in their blog (not the sidebars) it creates a new path to you and then each path is worth x amount of dollars in the calculation. Now... because that SEO meme thing is basically a chain letter of links within individual posts, it creates a whole bunch of new paths to your blog as it keeps growing. Therefore the numbers are somewhat skewed, just like the guy's website that created the little "how much is your blog worth" button. Imbedded in the button is his address, so everytime someone puts that button in their blog, it creates a new path and increases the overall "value" of his website. It's a fun little ditty, but probably not worth much in reality.

Oh... Kath, yours shows up as worth $7,903.56.

11/20/2007 11:08 AM  
Blogger fermicat said...

Your blog isn't priceless? Aww.

11/24/2007 8:40 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

How the hell is it worth anything? I don't get it. I don't advertise or make a dime off of my labor, er, okay, off of my slacking? =/

11/26/2007 4:47 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Wow, almost $8000. Now if I had that in actual money, life would be good. ;-)

11/27/2007 7:05 AM  
Blogger LL said...

No fermi... not priceless. Just mundane. ;)

Beth... see my last comment for how that thing works. I think it's simply a created bargaining chip if you use advertisers. But... like I say, it's can be manipulated quite easily.

Kath, I'm not sure that a mere $8,000 would make life good, but it would make it better! ;)

11/28/2007 8:12 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Figures, even robots manipulate me. I feel so used.

12/04/2007 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home