Sunday, July 01, 2007

Like Butter, I'm in a Role...

The interweb is a funny thing. It's an anonymous world and that lends itself to a great deal of... well... anonymity. With all that in mind, it's easy to develop an online persona much different than your real life personality.

There are some of you internetters that are the "what you see is what you get" types.

There are others of you that utilize this little world to become that which you want to be, rather than what you are.

Me? Well... I'm a combination of the two.

I first really started to come online a few years ago when I was into a science fiction show (quite possibly the best series ever) and missed an ep. Now, I'd lurked around this bulletin board dedicated to the show for a while, but never joined into the fray until then. I needed someone nearby to hook me up with that missed ep, and had to join the board in order to talk to anyone, so I did.

I found a gal in Utah that was a real sweetheart and sent me a tape of the ep. But I figured that I might as well jump around the board and engage a few of the regulars and see what was up. I was such a noob I didn't know how to post, PM (personal message) or use smilies.

The thing was, these folks were really a great bunch and schooled me quickly in all the intricacies of an online bulletin board. It wasn't long before I was hangin' out every night and started to make some good online acquaintances. I say acquaintances because we were awfully friendly, but it's hard for me to call anyone I've never met a "friend". I liked 'em, and I think they liked me, but... *shrug*

It was there that I met g_s, JG, Whosie, grinner, ShawnaTums, Blackthorn, Miss K, and later on KTM, PinTA, fermicat, BC, and KelleyRed. It was "fun times". Shoot, g_s posted his pic and even spawned a calendar. It was a blast.

It was there that I first started to develop my online reputation. Now I'm not going to tell you what that rep was/is, I'd hate to spoil your opinion of me like that. :P It still follows me around a bit.

But I will tell you this, I'm quite a bit different in real life than what you all see here. It's not that I lie online, it's just that most of you get to see a different aspect. Truth be told, my blog personality is a lot different than even my BB personality was. There's reasons for all that, but I won't reveal them. A magician never reveals his secrets... right?

So anyway... I typed all of that to ask this... Is your online persona a reflection of your real life personality? Are you quiet and shy in real life, but charming, warm, and witty in the etherworld? Are you a cast iron wench in real life AND online? Inquiring minds want to know...

12 Comments:

Blogger BC said...

I am who I am. I like to have fun and chat. Sometimes I will play the innocent part but thats all come out in the open and look what happened.

7/01/2007 9:51 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

I'm pretty much the same as stuff I say on my blog. Although I try to say "ass" less when I'm around, oh, people from church I suppose. But otherwise, nope, bout the same.

7/01/2007 10:38 PM  
Blogger fakies said...

In real life, I'm very meek, mild-mannered, and subdued. Quiet as a church mouse and all that. And I'm not nearly so opinionated.

7/02/2007 9:53 AM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

In real life, I'm very meek, mild-mannered, and subdued.
Yeah, uh-huh.

Is this because I won't believe that you are pure as the driven snow?
As for me, I think I"m pretty much the same. Maybe a touch more quiet in the real world- at first. Except when I meet up with folks I have meet online, then I think I'm pretty much the same since in a way they already know what I am like.
I've considered going all out with an online persona, but the real me creeps in and ruins my grand scheme.

7/02/2007 10:08 AM  
Blogger fermicat said...

:spew:

Sorry, still getting over trinamick's comment.

I'm mostly the same, but more "edited" online than off. I don't write anything that would get me into trouble at work, for example. Complaining about them is one thing, being very specific about who or what is bugging me is quite another. And while my blog is rated "G" (much to my chagrin - I will have to try harder), my real life conversations would be at least "NC-17" due to strong language and mature topics. Ahem.

Parts of my life are off-limits to blogging about. I think it is good to have some boundaries, and privacy/mystery is a wonderful thing.

7/02/2007 10:29 AM  
Blogger fermicat said...

Oh, and I don't look like a 1950s era spacewoman holding a ray gun. Although I wouldn't mind having her figure. ;-)

7/02/2007 10:30 AM  
Blogger fakies said...

Wha? Surely you guys don't think I'm really like this? Man, that would be annoying on a daily basis.

I've often wondered if people who cuss like sailors on their blogs talk like that in RL. How would they keep a job?

7/02/2007 2:05 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Maybe they are sailors. Did you ever consider that KTM?

Also... You forgot to mention how you possess no sarcasm in real life either.

Blogs are tougher to be someone you're not. They're not really conversations where a personality can expose itself like at a BB or chatroom or such. They're actually just one sided because the blogger speaks, and you may or may not have the opportunity to respond. Those of you who I've met through the blogosphere are pretty well what you see is what you get kinda folks. *coughSunnyandBethcough*

"Is this because I won't believe that you are pure as the driven snow?"
Actually, no. I've been thinking about this post and another one for a while now. I decided to write this one and probably won't write the other. I'd hate to let everyone know that you actually said something I wrote was "kinda hot".

fermi -- The physics babe uses off colour language and discusses lewd topics? I'm shocked...

However... those of you that know me from my early days over at FMD, well you do have to admit one thing. When I was in my prime over there, I was pretty good at what I did. Often imitated but never duplicated. Too bad you weren't there Sunny. Knowing you as I do now, we'd have had a lot of fun and left the crowd begging for more. :ewink:

7/02/2007 5:53 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I hate how some people use their blogs to brag or do daily updates of their life or to show pics of themselves fishing for compliments. I think those people seem confident in blogdom, but really have low self-esteem. They need blogger just a bit too much.

I'm exactly like I am on the blog. Reclusive, fearful, but orderly, strict. I don't hide my faux pas at all. I try to only blog once a week too. I just don't think anyone is that interesting to read daily.

7/06/2007 8:07 AM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

"I'd hate to let everyone know that you actually said something I wrote was "kinda hot"."

I said what?

7/06/2007 9:53 AM  
Blogger LL said...

"I just don't think anyone is that interesting to read daily."

Except me... right? RIGHT??? *sniff* I mean... erm... that's why I post so infrequently. Yeah... that's it. :P

"I said what?"

Oh... you don't recall? Welllllll... let me go find the exact quote, if I can. *insert pause here while I'm looking it up*

[/pause]Ahhh yes... here it is.

I posted a little sumptin' sumptin' and you said -- "Is it just me, or is that kinda hot?" to which KTM replied, "Dear God, don't encourage him!"

I still haven't figured out what KTM's problem was. :P

7/06/2007 1:51 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

I don't recall that.

7/23/2007 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home