Friday, July 06, 2007

I've Got Friends in Low Places

Over at Beth's little blog, she was lamenting... actually she was freaking out, about having snakes on her lawn.

I happened to mention that I had a Bull Snake out on my driveway that day, and she was kinda freaked out that there was even such a thing as a Bull snake. Well...

Today some friends stopped in, and as they were driving into my yard, there it was again. So they got out and played with it for a wee bit, then came on in.

We vizted and shot the shi... ermmm... talked about random stuff for a while and then a storm blew in.

As with most storms in this area, that means a whole lot of wind, dirt, and a few drops of rain. But it was dirty enough that we came in from under the back awning and finished up in here.

So they decided to head out, and as they were leaving, one of them says, "I'd shut your back door if I was you, or that snake's gonna be living with you for the next few days." And right there NEXT TO THE BACK DOOR was my friendly little 3-4 foot bull snake. Then he pushed it's tail with his toe, much to my chagrin. Why? Because it headed toward the door! Not only that, but I was in standing next to him and not in a position to shut it!

I quickly sprung into action and headed ol' snakie off at the pass, or at least the screen door, and encouraged her to seek an alternate route, which she did.

So I had to grab the ol' camera and show off my newest pet to all of you. Enjoy!
In hiding.
Making her escape.

The fleeting glimpse.

12 Comments:

Blogger BC said...

Awww She would have made a good friend. :D

She looked healthy enough. But she was just taking some shelter.

7/06/2007 9:46 PM  
Blogger fermicat said...

That's a good lookin' snake. But poor Beth is going to have nightmares about it.

7/07/2007 9:39 AM  
Blogger LL said...

But on the bright side... since she's been around, I haven't had any trouble with moles chewing up my lawn and yard. In fact... my mole hill sightings have become non-existent.

7/07/2007 4:48 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Holy friggin' Christ. I can't even stand it. Fermicat was dead on. My hair is standing on end. Omg. Get rid of that beast!

In my own defense, I have bought these dorky ass skull rain boots and will be plodding around my yard in them. I will no longer massacre snakes, but take pictures of them? NONONONO.

7/08/2007 11:55 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Oh, c'mon... I'm sure she was just lonely and wanted to snuggle. :P

And you are in NY so...

7/08/2007 5:18 PM  
Blogger John said...

I don't mind snakes. But I hate those centipedes that look like those flat mops school janitors use. One crawled...no...leisurely strolled across the carpet the other night and I nearly had to change my pants. I hate those friggin' things.

7/09/2007 11:33 AM  
Blogger fermicat said...

We'll settle for pictures of you in those "dorky ass skull rain boots", Beth. No snake photography required.

7/10/2007 2:42 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hahaha, Fermicat. I got the boots today in the mail. I look like a 10-year old from the knees down, but as soon as I put them on, I felt like I was a superhero. Impenetrable. No snake bites.

I tried not to look at those snake pics when I came back, but caught the tail end of the tail end pic. Blech.

7/10/2007 4:48 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Wimp.

Oh... and we DO need to see you in them fancy boots. ;)

7/10/2007 5:27 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Dear God, I'm so glad I live in the suburbs of southeastern Michigan and don't have to worry about snakes at all (although supposedly there are garter snakes around here somewhere).

7/16/2007 3:33 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I want to see Beth's skull boots!!!

7/16/2007 3:34 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

Me too. Boots! Boots! Boots!

Snakes don't bother me so much, but we don't really have any snakes to worry about around here.

I hate bugs though. Even the non poisonous kind. They're sneaky and don't belong in my house or on my things.

7/23/2007 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home