Saturday, December 08, 2007

Snatch Grab...

I should just leave you all right there and end the post. But I won't, lest your minds wander through the gutter, as they no doubt already are (Yes Tiff, I'm looking at you).

No... today is another episode of storytime with LL...

A rather popular game amongst the cowboys of old was SnatchGrab. All the time I was growing up, I'd heard tales of this game. I never played, but that's because all of my dad's generation were tightwads I guess. His dad's (my grandpa's) generation was much more giving for such things.

My Uncle tells the story...

He was about 12 or 13 and some of the older gents asked him and all of the other kids hanging about the cabin if they'd ever played SnatchGrab. Of course the answer was no, how do you play? So the rules were explained to them, and here they are. Each of the older cowboys would throw something of value under a box, and then all of the kids would encircle the box and then on the count of three, the box would be pulled off of the pile and you could keep whatever you grabbed.

Old Ned, the purveyor of the game, said that he didn't really want to part with them, but he'd throw his silver spurs in the mix. Another guy said he'd be willing to put a silver bit in, and another even threw in his sixgun, and so it went all the way around the cabin.

With that... all the older cowboys left the cabin to go get their stuff, and the kids were told to stay inside until everything was ready. Gosh they were anxious. Now my Uncle told me he had his eye on the spurs, and by gad he was quicker than all the rest and he was going to get them too.

Finally the time came, and all the boys were called out of the cabin. Out in front of the cabin a ways was a box, face down on the ground, and all of the boys with sugarplums in their heads took up their positions around the box. The anticipation was palpable. Their eyes fixed in concentration, muscles tensed and ready to spring into action like so many steel traps. Their fingers twitched with desire, and each knew that he had to be quicker than all the others to get the booty.

Then finally... here it was, the countdown had begun.

ONE!

TWO!

They all leaned in a little closer, ready for the kill...

THREE! AND THE BOX WAS PULLED!

BAM! Like a bunch of cats after a single mouse they all leaped into action and grabbed at the hidden contents of the box with a reckless abandon bourne out of pure avarice...

THE SPURS! THE GUN!! THE BIT!!! THE... THE...

There was no glint, there was no jingle, just howls of laughter in their ears, in fact there was no pile of booty at all...

*Splot*

Just what used to be a fresh pile of cow shit.

14 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

I figured it was gonna be something not so desirable under the box. I bet that would have been a scream to watch. Kids are so gullible...

12/09/2007 8:25 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Yeah... but the secret to SnatchGrab is not to tell anybody about it. That way, you can pull it on the next generation...

12/09/2007 11:48 AM  
Blogger fermicat said...

Snipe hunts work much the same way.

12/09/2007 5:06 PM  
Blogger tiff said...

Why you lookin' at me, huh?

SnatchGrab. I likes it. I think it shall be a new Christmas tradition.

12/10/2007 8:47 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Do the words Perverted Bloggers Association of America ring any bells? ;)

I guess you can play SnatchGrab next to the festivus pole...

12/10/2007 9:28 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Hilarious. Those old cowboys...too darn funny. I'm figuring you can't pull that over on anyone much over the age of 17, however.

12/10/2007 9:45 AM  
Blogger LL said...

I think it would just depend on what was "under" the box, Kath.

12/10/2007 2:01 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

Man, that's just mean.

12/11/2007 1:10 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Yup. Funny, but mean. Do any of you still wonder why I am the way I am after reading these stories?

12/11/2007 1:52 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I don't know if I could come back for grabbing cow manure, especially fresh. I still remember the time I stepped in a fresh cow pie, it's not like pie at all.

12/12/2007 6:01 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Oh Beth... it's just compost, and you play in that stuff all the time.

12/12/2007 8:13 AM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

My family and I were going to have a "Yankee gift swap" this Christmas, but this sounds better.

12/12/2007 12:17 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Yankee gift swap? I'd be suspicious of something with a name like that...

12/12/2007 9:36 PM  
Blogger BC said...

Thats so funny. My grandma used to have something similar to that but she just did it as trinkets in a bag. Nothing squishy in there. LOLOL

12/16/2007 9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home