Sunday, August 03, 2008

Of Dubbie, and Lacey, and All Things Middleman...

Yes folks... it's Huggy Bear again whippin' out my powder blue suit and fuzzy hat to come to yew folk and do what I do best... pimpin the ladies out...

Ok... I guess a couple of guys too, but don't hold that against me.

No, today we're here to do something that ABC is too brain dead to do... Actually let somebody know that there's a decent (and fun) show on one of their affiliate networks.

I have to blame PinTA for this instead of Tiff, but don't get carried away, I'll figure out something to blame Tiff for, I'm almost certain of it... ;) But let's get back to business shall we?

Ok... I was contently sitting there perusing a bulletin board I frequent and PinTA posted a thread about this show called the Middleman. She of course enjoyed it, and in doing so doomed it to cancellation straight away. So despite my better judgment... I went out and... erm... acquired the show and watched it. Unfortunately for me, I liked it too...

As you can see from the tagline on my little blog, I like acquired tastes, and the more bizarre and funtastic the show, the more I seem to enjoy it. For example...

I thought Keen Eddie was a fun show. Canceled. And I really hate to admit this in public, but I watched Firefly too when it first aired. Canceled. Then I watched the interesting concept known as Boom Town. Canceled. And so on, and so on...

So as you can tell the fun, smart shows that take a little bit of perception to actually appreciate I tend to go for. The Middleman (different link) fits this bill.

The Middleman is about a young photogenic artist that gets recruited to the Jolly Fats WeeHawken temp agency so that she can learn the trade and save the world in the process. Ok... I guess go here and read the review. He does a better job of describing it than I just did. The best way I can describe it is that it's kinda like what I picture Tiff's brain would look like if set to film. (Heehee!)

Suffice it to say... it's fun. An hour that you can just put your brain in semi-neutral and enjoy all of the pop culture references and quick banter between the characters. If the little subtexts on the screen don't make you chuckle... repeatedly... then you've got something wrong with you. Or maybe you're normal, and there's something wrong with me, but if the Middleman's wrong... I don't wanna be right.

On the down side... it might just be too smart for today's TV. If you liked Futurama, Eureka, Keen Eddie and the like, give it a try. Lord knows if there's not a viral advertising campaign like this one, nobodies gonna even know it exists.

So your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to tune into the ABC Family channel on Monday at 10pm Eastern (that's 8:00 for those of us that live in the Mountain states) and give the Middleman a try. If you like it, pass the love along. If you don't... you have no business remaining in the human race and you're the reason that our culture is declining. :P

15 Comments:

Blogger Sunshine said...

I talked my stepmom into watching Pushing Daisies, as last year and for many before, it is the most unique and clever programming I've seen. Thankfully, it's coming back, I thought the strike might have claimed another victim but apparently not.

I'll have to give your Middleman a try. I fully admit, I like a lot of the horrible, lowest common denominator programming - because I can turn my brain fully OFF. But I like to balance that out with a few shows that are smart, clever, funny and well written.

8/03/2008 8:40 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

I will have to do that!

I left you a comment on your last post about the "word!" :)

8/03/2008 9:09 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Sunny... if you like PD, you're going to love the Middleman.

Very similar.

knut -- "r"? I don need no steenkin "r"... ;P Give it a looksee too!

8/03/2008 9:29 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Um Ok, Your gonna push this off on NYPiTA?... I don't see where it is much like Eureka... ok well, I havn't see it yet... is it gonna keep this robatronic mind frame going?//

8/04/2008 10:51 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Last year was the first time I watched network television since ABC canceled Sports Night, and then the bloody writers strike happened. I'm glad to hear Pushing Daisies is coming back. I'll try to remember to DVR The Middleman tonight...10:00 is past my bedtime, especially after the freaking bars kept me up half the night last night.

8/04/2008 11:56 AM  
Blogger fermicat said...

I agree with LL (gasp!) - The Middleman is a terrific little show. Y'all give a try, ya hear.

Keen Eddie - another good one that never got a chance to blossom and develop an audience. Kind of like Serenity. And Wonderfalls. Sigh.

Eureka had a strong start last week. We'll see where they take things this year.

8/04/2008 6:04 PM  
Blogger wa11z said...

I think I'll pass. Maybe next year if there is one.

8/04/2008 9:54 PM  
Blogger Knight said...

What is the ABC Family channel? I'm so out of the loop it's pathetic.

8/05/2008 9:15 PM  
Blogger Carol Benson-Cobb said...

Good morning! Well see I leave for a few days and you decide to post... You think I don't check in from afar? On my way home today. Thought I'd check to make sure you were still there, have a great day. I will be catching up with everyone for the next week!


Trainwreck

8/06/2008 7:29 AM  
Blogger tiff said...

Yay! Some teevee I actually might watch!

Have all seasons of Futurama on DVD, if that gives you any indication...and since I think I've seen every Dead Like Me there wever was made, there's not much left but to finish up season 1 of Dexter.

And watch this new show. Yay!!

8/08/2008 1:11 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I love the odd and weird type of programming, but this didn't do it for me. =/ Kind of silly, but not in a good way.

I really liked that they swiped the Twin Peaks' music. I miss that show so much

8/08/2008 2:11 PM  
Blogger Train Wreck said...

LL, (Red face) um...well yes I cannot deny I am wearing...thong (s) See black ones!!Lol!! You are a bad man! PS Aren't you proud of me!!

8/08/2008 4:08 PM  
Blogger LL said...

jennylu - Of course I'm going to blame PinTA... it's what I do.

Kath - I hope you enjoy it. I think you really need to see the first few eps to really get a feel for it though. But if you don't start watching now, they'll probably cancel the dern thing and then what's the point.

fermi - of course you like it... you've got a master's degree. :P
Besides... what else are you gonna watch on Monday?

Wa11z - I did that with Wonderfalls and look at what happened there. Actually... I still haven't seen any of that show.

Knight - ABC Family is actually the "family channel" after ABC bought it. Just do a search for "abc family channel" and it'll get you to the website. Or you can go over to PinTA's blog (the winkin kitty link on my sidebar) and follow her link to one of the episodes.

TW - Back from Tejas so soon? I notice you dawned the ol T's though... :ewink:

Tiff - I think it will be right up your alley.

Beth - glad you gave it a try. This ep was different than all the rest. All of the others were mostly stand-alone eps, but this incorporated a lot of the previous ones. I can see how it wouldn't be quite as engaging to a new viewer. Stick with it though, there's only a few left and you might even warm up to it!

8/08/2008 4:14 PM  
Blogger The W.O.W. factor! said...

Hmmm...might have to check it out at a later date. I RARELY watch TV, does that make me a deviate of the human race & will I further corrupt the population??

8/09/2008 12:42 AM  
Blogger Peggy said...

I can't watch Stateside telly anymore. It makes my brain hurt. There are more ads than program. How can people live like that? It's insane!!

8/10/2008 12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home