Saturday, August 16, 2008

Smilie Code 101

Quite often, I find myself reverting back to the things I'm familiar with, and quite often, I also forget that there's a new crop of viewers around here that aren't familiar with these things. So in an attempt to enlighten the rest of you, I'll now give you a free course in Smilie 101.

First of all, the little smilie codes that I use are the ones that I first became familiar with, and well... that doesn't make them right or wrong, but just the way I learned them. For example... the easy emoticons to use are of course the wink -- ;), the tongue -- :P, and the winking tongue -- ;P. But what happens when you want to convey a different message? Well... some folks out there actually came up with little pictures and then associated certian typewritten codes to be associated with them. They're mostly popular on online bulletin boards because they're easy to use, and that's where I picked them up. So if I use some strange typings in my comments on your blogs, or in response to your comments here, now you'll know what they mean.


ewink Now this little gem is the evil wink. The evil wink means that you are winking, but with a little bit of a devilish intent. It is represented by :ewink: .

elol Closely associated with the :ewink: is the evil laugh. Like the :ewink: it means that you are laughing, but with a little bit of a devilish intent. It is represented by the :elol: .

ppbb I'm not sure this one needs any explanation. I do wonder why KTM seems to direct this one at me repeatedly though... It's represented by :ppbb: .

eek This little gem is of course the eek. It too is pretty self explanatory. It's represented by the :eek: .

eek5 Closely associated with the eek, is another eek. On the bulletin board that I learned these from, there were several different eeks, this one happened to be eek5, so it's represented by :eek5: .

groove This is kind of a fun one. It's known as the groove. When you're happy and can't help groovin', this is just the smilie for you. It's represented by the :groove: .

g2f This friendly smilie is of course the one I need to use most often. Yep... when dealing with you types, it comes in quite handy. The infamous gone too far smilie. It's represented by the :g2f: .

innocent And lastly one that also needs no explanation. The infamous *innocent* smilie, conveying something of which you aren't quite entirely innocent of. It's represented by the :innocent: .

There are numerous others, but that's enough for now. Perhaps at the 102 level, you'll be introduced to the coffee, beergood, and spinning smilies.

****************************

Today's mystery lyric: (Remember the rules folks, no online searching of the lyrics, if you don't know it, you don't have the answer!)

Hey there you, way out there could you show me,
just a signal, or a sign?
That after all, all these years that you know me
And I'm not just, killin' time.

Answer to last lyric: Extreme Ways by Moby

27 Comments:

Blogger fermicat said...

You left out one of the best ones...

:lech:

8/16/2008 9:09 PM  
Blogger LL said...

I wasn't sure they were ready for that one yet. :ewink:

8/17/2008 2:12 AM  
Blogger The W.O.W. factor! said...

hunh???
:lech: ??
C'mon..you teach us new things and ya leave something important out??
How nice is that! some of us can handle 101 & 102 at the same time...

8/17/2008 3:57 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Bob Dylan?

I always used the fast emotes (point and click), I never actually coded any except for the simple ones. ;)

WOW- these emotes are from chat rooms (long past) and some Instant Messangers.

Anyone know where there are any chatrooms?

8/17/2008 8:02 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

My favorite is the evil laugh, which I represent with the word, "Mwahahahahaha." Then I steeple my fingers, but you can't exactly see that.

8/18/2008 8:20 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I loved :lech:

I remember using that on a particular board.

8/18/2008 10:48 AM  
Blogger LL said...

WOW - In time my dear... in time. After all... patience is a virtue.

JennyLu - Nope... not Dylan. As for the chat room, there are a few around, but nobody goes there anymore... they're too crowded.

Tink - I hope right after you steeple your fingers you flex them and give a hearty Monte Burns "Excellent"...

Beth - You loved the :lech:? Perhaps there's hope for you after all! :ewink:

8/18/2008 9:10 PM  
Blogger wa11z said...

Isn't the :eek: also represented by the o_o?

8/18/2008 11:46 PM  
Blogger The W.O.W. factor! said...

who ever said I was virtuous?? Ok...maybe I am...but I certainly am NOT patient! Heck..I unwrap (then rewrap) gifts aforehand! And not just mine either! :}

8/18/2008 11:56 PM  
Blogger BC said...

What about :fwap:

He he he

And you forgot one....

:{P

Doesnt seem to look right in here though. :dunno:

8/19/2008 12:17 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

I have never been in a chat room and wasn't really familiar with these. So excuse me when I say that the combination of :lech: and "chat room" makes me think of Dateline. ;) <- That's pretty much the extent of my smilies. I'm also a fan of the open-mouth grin :D

8/19/2008 9:11 AM  
Blogger tiff said...

I had no idea. I consider myself duly schooled. Thanks, teach!

(codeword, just for Fermi: 'catyap')

8/19/2008 1:56 PM  
Blogger BC said...

The nme of the song is Sleep. :D

8/19/2008 5:22 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

So, these smileys are represented with :ewink:, etc, but how do we make the cute little picture show up? Put the < & > around them?

BTW, darn it, I'm quite enjoying The Middleman.

8/20/2008 10:29 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Wa11z - Hmmm... maybe the 0_0, not the o_o But then there's also the 0_o

WOW - now that's cheatin!

BC - I don't use the :fwap: much. It just gets used on me. I also sense a little searching was used for the mystery lyric too...

Dr. Babe - Chat rooms are time consuming, and I've never been in one that actually had ready made smilies. But once you see the :lech:, well... you'll really think of Dateline!

Tiff - I'm all about the education.

Kath - Ok... here's how you make the cute little pictures appear. You have to type < a href=use your imagination here> because you actually have to host them offsite and then link them as a picture in your posts. It won't let you post them in the comments any way that I've been able to discern. I of course just host them in my brain and when I see the code automatically associate them.

As for the Middleman... I warned you that you would. But of course it's dooooooooooomed.

8/20/2008 5:36 PM  
Blogger BC said...

No searching.... I have it here. :P

8/20/2008 8:18 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

emoticons=modern day hieroglyphics. We've come full circle. Almost.

8/22/2008 9:42 AM  
Blogger Train Wreck said...

LL you smilie Devil you!! I love this post! Crack me up! I have to admit I am with WOW, :lech:? Can't even imagine! Probably shouldn't either!!;)
"Wouldn't go that far" :/ ...are you saying that you don't love my blog? :O Or that others don't? :( Or were you refering to...? Wheres the confused smiley? LOL!

8/24/2008 9:29 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yeah, :lech:, loved it. Wait, what are we talking about?

8/25/2008 11:42 AM  
Blogger Train Wreck said...

LL, of course they were wearing shoes! What do kinda mother do you think I am? I am the only one lucky enough to go barefoot! LOL!Ok now when are you going to let us know what :lech: is?
It's like speaking a foreign language, it only makes sense if we all understand! :)

8/26/2008 10:54 AM  
Blogger Train Wreck said...

LL I didn't know you were so emotional looking at good looking pony! Need a tissue? LOL! I crack myself up! Hey you aren't keeping up with your usuall responses? You aren't sick are you..."sniff"?

8/28/2008 7:23 AM  
Blogger LL said...

No... not sick, just busy. As for the sniff... well... I just sent 6 hosses to the glue factory yesterday and then see your picture. Not a good day around the ol' ranch.

P - Except ours are animated.

TW - How did I know you would all be hung up on the :lech:?

Beth - We're talking about... erm... I... I'm sure it was important though!

8/28/2008 10:37 PM  
Blogger Train Wreck said...

Oh ! How terrible! ((ehug)) That's too bad. All our horses are under the age of 10. Trainwreck is 4 he's the baby. Hopefully we have many more years with them. Sorry for your bad day. Hope it gets better. Have a safe and fun weekend!

8/29/2008 2:55 PM  
Blogger The W.O.W. factor! said...

Here I was gonna give ya a bad time & all...about not keeping us abreast of "new things"...read your comments, now I know why you've been 'off track'.
(*sniff*)Sorry....

9/02/2008 12:30 AM  
Blogger Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Wow! What an education! Thanks for stopping in over at 9 Acres. i would love to have an Idaho card. The kids and i are down to needing 10 cards and that would knock us down to 9. Thanks so much for the offer! If you are still willing to help, please contact me through the contact button so i can email you my address.

9/04/2008 4:52 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Goshdangit, still Smile Code 101???/

9/05/2008 7:17 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Was just out cruising the blog world and ran across yours. You have a wonderful witt, thanks for putting a smile on my face.

9/05/2008 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home